Apocalypse World 2nd Edition

• 54 Replies

lumpley

Re: Apocalypse World 2nd Edition
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Abandon hope! There will be no more Dungeon World in AW2E than there is in AW1E.

-Vincent

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 01:24:18 AM »
All I really want is Faceless 2e.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
I really, really hope AW 2nd is more like Dungeon World it is just a much better layout of a system with better basic moves, etc.
Oh my god, no !
Abandon hope! There will be no more Dungeon World in AW2E than there is in AW1E.

-Vincent
Sounds good.

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »
Apart from the confusion with Go Aggro vs. Seize By Force, I don't think there's any problem with AW's basic moves. And I think that Vince's done a lot of work shoring up particular issue.

There's some stuff that I'd like to see from DW in AW, but that's more personal preference stuff that suits my tastes and wouldn't really make a better AW.
that confusion using same move for range and melee, DW has Defend move, defy danger, just a little bit cleaner system than AW. I also really like and prefer that DW can use any attribute for a one depending on the action/fiction. You are Defying Danger by leaping behind cover Roll+Dex, you are Defying Danger by flipping over a desk Roll+Str. Maybe they can fix my concerns with just some much better explanations and examples.

-Vincent
then I hope you do a much better job of explaining moves and giving much better examples. DW is just a cleaner system because of the ability to apply different attributes to the same move based on the fiction and it just has much cleaner moves that make a lot more sense.

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
Sounds good! As soon as John "Carpenter" Harper explained when you seize by force it became the best and clearest versitile moves there is.

What I would like to see is more custom moves, and thusly more inspiration to be able to make them quicker (i.e. steal them for campaign). Cool tricks to writing and using loveletters in your campaign/one-shots and possibly having some new XP-system*.  (I sometimes have an off-feel for the current, though I see several arguments for it. Just now I felt that we're in a spot were  you can read persons ten times for two advances and little fictional progress). I do love the Blades in the Dark-XP advancement, though:

Do these (four) things per session an gain XP. (I'm so making a post about this!)

Maybe a "best practice" for players (as the MC chapter is for the MC) could be an idea?

I off course realize that we're her at Barf forth apocalyptica - were all my wishes come true, so basically I'm telling everyone I like ApW moves way over DW, and I'm really psyched about the 2nd ed.

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Sounds good! As soon as John "Carpenter" Harper explained when you seize by force it became the best and clearest versitile moves there is.

Ugh, just tracked down that reference and now I'm more confused than ever about SBF. I'm glad the new combat system is shaping up the way it is.

noclue

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
I think I'd like AW2 to be the same as AW1.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 02:50:41 AM »
I think I'd like AW2 to be the same as AW1.
that sounds like you can just put a sticker on your AW1 that says 2nd Edition then. I personally think everything can be improved from food, people, cars, houses, music, to gaming systems. Once you stop growing and improving you start dying.

AW has done some neat things, and some head scratching things (not in a good think about it way, more WTF where you thinking way) and it could be better and improved on by growing on its foundation and learning from other "powered by apocalypse" systems.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:46 AM »
I like the new stuff I've seen, and allthough I kind of like the prerogative to stay with the Playbook's owner, it's probably better and more close to common practice to let the conversation deal.

I think probably my favorite thing about Apocalypse Word was Hx and how your playbook helped define you, the relationship between the others and even the others (to at least a minor extent).

"You left me bleeding once, and did nothing", "you've been beside me and seen everything I've seen" and "you've been with me since before" are not only profound statements, but they lend inspiration to evocative questions bringing the game and the game world further from the get-go.

I think the Skinners are really powerful, and define the untangible power of some entrancing personality in a world of crumbs, rust and gunsmoke.

"You're my friend, gunlugger", "you're my lover, Hocus... and Hardholder, you're in love with me, -1Hx"

I think this will get better, and I like that everyone will have to work for a living. (In our current game I think we're all mooching off the Harholder.)

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
I think probably my favorite thing about Apocalypse Word was Hx and how your playbook helped define you, the relationship between the others and even the others (to at least a minor extent).

As someone who's had a couple characters buried and made into complete jokes, I think Hx puts too much power in the hands of people making the statements and I like the direction 2e is going with it.

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »
As someone who's had a couple characters buried and made into complete jokes, I think Hx puts too much power in the hands of people making the statements and I like the direction 2e is going with it.

Oh, wow, I hadn't seen those changes.

2e is definitely *safer* in that regard. Not sure if that's better.

noclue

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
Hx is my favorite part of the system as well. But, I've never had anyone turn my character into a joke. I dont think I would let them. I doubt I would want to play with anyone who tried.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Ebok

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
I already started playing hacked AW2E in weekly games. It is Great fun. I am interested in seeing how the other changes end up, and of course, will be adding the book into the collection regardless.

I never did have any issue understanding the potential of the base moves though. I'm really not sure which part confused people in AW1E. Looking forward for the new rule-pieces to chop up into other stuff >:D

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
I already started playing hacked AW2E in weekly games. It is Great fun. I am interested in seeing how the other changes end up, and of course, will be adding the book into the collection regardless.

I never did have any issue understanding the potential of the base moves though. I'm really not sure which part confused people in AW1E. Looking forward for the new rule-pieces to chop up into other stuff >:D

After John Harper explained seize by force as "when you're more interested in what the other(s) got, instead of what they can do" it clicked. The other moves are great, though I needed to play to understand how play (i.e. fiction) dictates what moves are rolled.

I really love the change-stat-moves, but I think I'd like more moves for at least Cool and Weird, though I realize that awesome campaign-defining moves help roll for those stats were the moves are substituted.

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 04:01:35 AM »
I for one am not really interested in the new edition from what I've seen of the previews. The basic moves and stats were awesome because they simplified and streamlined so much. Making them more complicated is a step backwards IMO.
Just my preference, I know Vincent is not looking for feedback or votes.