Apocalypse World 2nd Edition

• 54 Replies
Re: Apocalypse World 2nd Edition
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
I for one am not really interested in the new edition from what I've seen of the previews. The basic moves and stats were awesome because they simplified and streamlined so much. Making them more complicated is a step backwards IMO.
Just my preference, I know Vincent is not looking for feedback or votes.

But the new edition has so many other changes, the battle moves are just the most obvious. The debility changes, the change to hx, tons of little things which will just make the game better.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed too by the 2e draft battle moves.
Having a subsystem to handle combat, in my group, has always lead to some kind of breaking pace. It feels to me a little like in japanese rpgs where the beginning of any fight stops time, puts you to a different display with tactical choices, and you go back to normal gaming like if nothing happened when the fight is finished.
It's even worse with the fact that those subsystems work much by themselves, having the player only making technical-tactical choices instead of narrating what he does like the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:13:17 PM by jimmeu »

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
I already started playing hacked AW2E in weekly games. It is Great fun. I am interested in seeing how the other changes end up, and of course, will be adding the book into the collection regardless.

I never did have any issue understanding the potential of the base moves though. I'm really not sure which part confused people in AW1E. Looking forward for the new rule-pieces to chop up into other stuff >:D

After John Harper explained seize by force as "when you're more interested in what the other(s) got, instead of what they can do" it clicked. The other moves are great, though I needed to play to understand how play (i.e. fiction) dictates what moves are rolled.

I really love the change-stat-moves, but I think I'd like more moves for at least Cool and Weird, though I realize that awesome campaign-defining moves help roll for those stats were the moves are substituted.

I've been trying to find these John Harper explanations of Seize by Force I keep hearing about and I'm having a hard time, could you give me a link to them?

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »
I already started playing hacked AW2E in weekly games. It is Great fun. I am interested in seeing how the other changes end up, and of course, will be adding the book into the collection regardless.

I never did have any issue understanding the potential of the base moves though. I'm really not sure which part confused people in AW1E. Looking forward for the new rule-pieces to chop up into other stuff >:D

After John Harper explained seize by force as "when you're more interested in what the other(s) got, instead of what they can do" it clicked. The other moves are great, though I needed to play to understand how play (i.e. fiction) dictates what moves are rolled.

I really love the change-stat-moves, but I think I'd like more moves for at least Cool and Weird, though I realize that awesome campaign-defining moves help roll for those stats were the moves are substituted.

I've been trying to find these John Harper explanations of Seize by Force I keep hearing about and I'm having a hard time, could you give me a link to them?

It's the first google hit for "john harper seize by force" ;) 

silva

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »
I for one am not really interested in the new edition from what I've seen of the previews. The basic moves and stats were awesome because they simplified and streamlined so much. Making them more complicated is a step backwards IMO.

Exactly my thoughts.

Well, at least we will have a lot of new peripheral moves at our disposal to use in 1st edition. :)

noclue

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2015, 01:12:12 AM »
Does it have grappling rules?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Ebok

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 01:17:50 AM »
If you want other modes of fighting, like grapple, honor, travel supplies, or what have you. You'll probably need to built it yourself. The game is very modular like that. Although really? If you like the Battle rules for the 2E then yeah, you can probably take 2 minutes out and have a grapple skill set that functions just like it should.

I don't use them myself, but, going into details about what I do and what the rules will be is something for his patreon. There will be lots of discussion on these topics when it goes live.

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:50 AM »

Exactly my thoughts.

Well, at least we will have a lot of new peripheral moves at our disposal to use in 1st edition. :)

True that, I do like the new ideas with the Debilities and a few other things.

To the poster wondering about which combat moves to use, it goes like this:

Are you both clearly swinging or shooting at eachother? Seize. Are you trying to surprise them w an attack from an advantageous position? Go Aggro.

If you charge right into battle with clear intent use Seize. You will almost always take some Harm.
If you want to be careful and nimble, move in with Act Under Fire, then Go Aggro. The second tactic requires more rolls so there is the chance of failing hard. But also the chance of 'winning' completely unscathed.

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
It's the first google hit for "john harper seize by force" ;)

Well that explains it, I kept using forum search! The "click" was once I read these comments:

"@Christian: The trouble is, when you make the Seize by force move, you automatically get shot (you suffer the enemy's harm when you make the move, succeed or fail). This rarely matches what the character is doing in the fiction. Usually, they're trying to take cover, move around, stick their head out and shoot when they can, etc. That's acting under fire and going aggro, IMO.

John Harper10:52 AM
For what it's worth, I don't think I'm saying anything very controversial.

p. 197 of AW ("Acting With Violence") is pretty much how I run it. It's just that "harm for harm, toe to toe" is not how the savvy wastelander -- with limited access to medical care -- does her violence. So, seize is pretty rare in play (not absent, just rare)."

noclue

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
If you want other modes of fighting, like grapple, honor, travel supplies, or what have you...
That was just me trying to be funny.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER