New Playbook: The Feral Kid

• 32 Replies
Re: New Playbook: The Feral Kid
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
If you make Harmless a hold-based move, it might be easy to add "if you deal harm/take an aggressive action, you lose all your hold."

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »
Yes.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm struggling with this one. I can't build malacai from Children of the Corn. That's what I want to do with this playbook. Also, I can't model the kid from RW as I'd like to.

Been a long while since I saw Children of the Corn but wouldn't Malacai by a hocus?  He seems like he is not a feral child.  I dunno.

Isaac is the hocus you're thinking of.
Malacai is the lead grunt of the group. He's the tall red-head with the scythe.

He takes Isaac's shit not out of faith, but out of the power he is given in turn. And then suddenly he's like, "Actually, fuck this, I can take that same power without kissing ass to boy wizard over here." It's the one good scene of the movie, and it's all Apocalypse World.

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »
Revised version of Harmless:

When you act all vulnerable and helpless, or surrender in battle, roll +Hot. On 10+ hold 3, on 7-9 hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
  • if you suffer harm, you suffer one less harm
  • make someone hesitate when they act against you
  • give someone who is helping you +1 on a roll
  • take +1 on a move to escape the danger

On a miss, nobody is taken in by your act - you're marked as a threat right away.
If you act violently or inflict harm, you lose all your remaining hold.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:48 AM »
That's pretty rockin', Mike.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
I put together a trifold playbook for the Feral Kid: Here

There's probably a bit more that could be added, but it seems good overall.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »
Mike I really like your Feral Kid idea. I'm actually running a story line in my game around one. The PC's take care the Kid and how they treat him/allow events to befall him determines what he becomes.

Reaction I dig the Trifold

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
I just re-watched Road Warrior, and I really want to see somebody play with the boomerang and glove.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
I had someone take the Feral kid and a boomerang in a one-shot last weekend. It was everything that I had hoped it would be.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:56 AM »
It´s too weird, I just had the idea of a similar playbook and did it. It´s sort of different, I´ll post it soon...

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 05:58:28 AM »
i was thinking about this one and about what children are like in general in apoc world and i was wondering about how you would go about running a short prelude before a campaign as to what some of the characters were like when they were kids.

any thoughts
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:05:39 AM by Remmun »

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
For my own game I've blended elements of the Feral Kid with some of Khimus' Child playbook, slapped a couple bits of my own on, and put it on the table for my players.  There've been no takers quite yet, but I think we'll be needing some new characters soon.  My fingers are crossed that somebody will pick The Kid so I can see how it works in actual play...

Anyways, here's what it looks like.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_XJtVbYj_jjMTUzYWQwMWItZGI0MC00ZGQ0LTljZjEtNThiYjYxNzYyNDYw&hl=en&authkey=CMS52MMK

Just for the record, Mike Sands and Khimus did all the heavy lifting on this.  I just swiped my favourite bits.

Chroma

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 08:49:50 AM »
For my own game I've blended elements of the Feral Kid with some of Khimus' Child playbook, slapped a couple bits of my own on, and put it on the table for my players.  There've been no takers quite yet, but I think we'll be needing some new characters soon.  My fingers are crossed that somebody will pick The Kid so I can see how it works in actual play...
Not sure if it's a typo or intentional, but your "Hungry" move basically lets another PC "double dip" for both experience and history.

In the "Feral Kid" playbook it reads:

When someone helps you – offers food, shelter or healing –
without hope of payment, you mark experience. If they are a PC, they gain
+1 Hx with you.

In the "Kid" playbook you have:

when someone helps you - offers food, shelter, protection or
healing, for example - with no strings attached, they mark experience. If they
are a PC, they gain +1Hx with you.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
Yeah, maybe both is too much.  Perhaps it should read "they may either mark experience or gain +1Hx with you."

Chroma

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
Yeah, maybe both is too much.  Perhaps it should read "they may either mark experience or gain +1Hx with you."

In the original Feral Kid move, both participating characters gain a benefit from the interaction; in yours, only the the *other* character gets a benefit. What was you intent in making that change?  As well, marking experience and gaining history only apply to PCs, so I'm not sure the "If they are a PC" condition is needed.

I like it if both characters get a benefit, even if they aren't balanced/equal value.

While it could probably be exploited, I feel the move should be the "giving" character gaining experience and the "Kid" (of whatever type) getting the +Hx with the giver as they see a "different" side of the giver.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES