Can start of session moves be helped/interfered?

• 3 Replies
Can start of session moves be helped/interfered?
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Just had this come up in a game, and I'm honestly not sure what the answer is--can players help or interfere with start of session moves, like wealth or fortunes?

It does make some sense. I'm kind of hesitant about making the wants that much less likely to come up as a default, assuming the players are more or less allied, but it could represent things like a character keeping order in the hold--or starting up trouble.

Re: Can start of session moves be helped/interfered?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
Yes.

See here for the definitive statement. Though, as you note and like all moves, the 'to do it, do it' principle applies, so you have to explain how you're helping or hindering.

I wouldn't worry too much about it getting too good, after all helping out opens them up to you making Moves against them if they fail, so it's not like they aren't taking a risk to do it, and the benefits are nice but not overpowering.  Besides, even if it is unbelievably awesome there being very good benefits to cooperation feeds perfectly into both being fans of the PCs and making Apocalypse World seem real.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
Very cool--thanks for digging up the statement from Vincent

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »
You're quite welcome, I remembered the wording (having read it previously) so looking it up wasn't much trouble.