Reviews of The Show?

• 3 Replies
Reviews of The Show?
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:24:17 AM »
Has anyone had a chance to play The Show in a game yet? It strikes me as one of Vincent's "high mind-share" designs, kind of like the Battlebabe. It's got a lot of tools for causing trouble (battle truck, flame throwing guitar, a gang) but not all that many for getting out of it, pushing the world in a controlled way or even using any of those cool toys well. A Maestro D' might host or a Skinner might put on a performance, or a Gunlugger might be able to intimidate an entire gang into back down but The Show cracks open the world while standing at ground zero. Plus there's the push-pull dynamic of potentially being the leash-holder's meal ticket and the biggest drain on them at the same time. What have everyone's experiences been?

Re: Reviews of The Show?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:28:05 AM »
None yet, but I'm just starting a game that probably has The Show in it. I'll report back once I have some more info to go on (possibly after this Saturday's game).

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »
I'm running a game that has a player as The Show, and they seem to be enjoying it so far. It's definitely a high mind-share character as you say. They have the tools for causing trouble but not getting out of it like the Battlebabe, and the lack of external motivation like the Skinner so it's not one for  the faint of heart. The player needs to be willing to cause chaos and surf the resulting tidal wave to get full enjoyment from the playbook.

The leash holding has worked out fun so far; the Driver holding the leash is never happy when they're asked to spend 3-barter on lifestyle for another character, but the occasional influx of 10-barter is making it worth it, for now. Crack Open the World hasn't seen much use, save for boosting allies in battle. I think that's partially because a lot of the options reference stuff the MC does that the players might not understand, and it being seen as a bit of a nuclear option.

Overall, so far so awesome. Check out AP: Steel City for the sitch with regards to my game, and what The Show has been up to, got another session coming up that should be written up by Thursday.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the Crack Open The World options create a threat that The Show will be right in the middle of with no special protection. I mean, sure, that Hunting Pack might go after the person you want or the Family might be your rabid fans but it's guaranteed to bite you down the line.  It almost feels like they're playing the game on a different scale from everyone else. The Hocus can direct the mob, The Show can change them. It makes sense, the characters it draws from like the Doof Warrior or Dethklok are larger than life even relative to an already larger than life world.