Did anyone ever create a Detective/Gossip Skin?

• 3 Replies

DannyK

Did anyone ever create a Detective/Gossip Skin?
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
I'm just coming off a long gaming hiatus and I was wondering about this.  What I mean by "Detective/Gossip" is a character who stays somewhat independent, pokes their noses into a lot of other character's business, and gets themselves in trouble.  This could be serious business and trouble, like a Nancy Drew detective, or it could be personal drama and secrets, or both.
Example characters from YA literature and video:
Nancy Drew
Veronica Mars
Luna Lovegood (mostly, but not entirely, a silly take on the concept)
Brendan, the noirish protagonist of Brick
The eponymous, anonymous blogger of Gossip Girl
Younger age than Monsterhearts, but totally in-concept: Harriet from Harriet the Spy

Somebody who's good at finding things out, good at getting people really mad at them and then surviving the fallout.  Tends to be better at taking a punch than throwing one.  Gets captured or menaced and then gets away. 

The character could be like the Queen either mundane or supernatural, either a mundane snoop or someone with psychic visions or hunches.  I'd worked on this before drawing somewhat on the Snoop playbook for Monster of the Week and the Marmot for Apocalypse World, but I'm really hoping someone else did something similar so I won't have to!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:24:54 AM by DannyK »

DannyK

Re: Did anyone ever create a Detective/Gossip Skin?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
Sorry for the self-reply, too late to edit.  After looking at the Second Skins, I see that the Neighbor's got a Move similar to what I was thinking about, where you blog about something weird that's happening and inflict a Condition on another character.  The Neighbor is pretty close to what I was looking for, but doesn't have the Moves for investigation I was hoping for.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
It's not exactly what you're talking about but there is The Editor that someone made, which is about spreading gossip and dealing with the fallout.

DannyK

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
That's pretty cool!  A little more overtly supernatural than I had in mind, and maybe overpowered.  Being able to impose conditions and spread rumors at will seems plenty powerful enough without being able to literally edit reality.  Besides, that seems like one of those powers that is guaranteed to piss off one's fellow players --
"Jackie isn't gay, she's just kissing other girls to get the boys' attention"
"The hell she is!" 

Look how uncomfortable people are with the Move that lets you turn someone on.