Playbook fonts

• 8 Replies
Playbook fonts
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
Something of an odd question, but what fonts are used in the playbooks?  I've got fairly limited options for PDF editors (I'm running Ubuntu -- if someone happens to know of a really great PDF editor, let me know), and the one that's worked best so far is Inkscape.  The problem is that it insists on pulling the text in as text, and when it doesn't have the named font available, it just picks one.  Which, of course, renders the text incorrectly.  I think that, possibly, if I install the fonts used (assuming they're available for free), Inkscape will render the playbook properly.

Re: Playbook fonts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
The body text is Gentium Book Basic, available for free at http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=gentium

The headers are 3rd Man by Bumbayo Font Fabrik, available at http://www.dafont.com/3rd-man.font.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
Many thanks, good sir.  I'll go fetch them and see if they make Inkscape any happier.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »
Yep, that did it.  Many thanks, again.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Yep, that did it.  Many thanks, again.

Excellent!

Zed

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »
on a related topic, is a large version of the image of the toothy monster that's on the MotW dice available anywhere? I'd love to have one to decorate my GM screen with.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »
on a related topic, is a large version of the image of the toothy monster that's on the MotW dice available anywhere? I'd love to have one to decorate my GM screen with.

It is not, but I'll email you a link to it if you like.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »

It is not, but I'll email you a link to it if you like.

(1) There are Monster of the Week dice?  I don't suppose any more are available, are there?
(2) You wouldn't be willing to share the link to the image more widely, would you?

(Humorously, I stumbled across a site that will do laser-engraved custom dice in small batches, and I was considering having a bunch made up for my game group if the price wasn't too astronomical.  However, there was nothing I could find as an iconic image for Monster of the Week except for the toothy monster image, so I was thinking about that.  And then I come back to this thread to find that, behold, dice with that symbol on them isn't such an original idea.)

EDIT: Just went to look at the Indiegogo page, and see that the dice were of extremely limited edition, so it's unlikely that any are around.  Also, I was thinking it was the larger image with just the eyes and teeth.  That would look great printed in white on the face of a black die.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
There are a few of the monster dice left, but I'm keeping them for MotW players I meet at conventions.

Note that non-NZ conventions are not likely to be an option for me in the next year or two. Well, maybe Australia.

I'm happy to send you a link to the image as well.