Harm in general

• 4 Replies
Harm in general
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
While looking over the Luchador moves, I noted that the Signature Move write-up doesn't mention the hunter suffering harm except in the event of a failure.  For the Daredevil Move, though, one of the options you can pick is not suffering harm in return.  So, for the Daredevil Move, it appears to be assumed that even on success you take harm (unless you pick the option that negates it).  Is that also the case for the Signature Move -- the Luchador suffers harm even on a success?

More generally, is this *always* the assumption?  That, if you're doing hand-to-hand damage to the monster, the monster *is* going to hurt you.  As these are sort of a variety of Kicking Ass, suffering harm (as happens when Kicking Ass) makes sense.  I just want to make sure I understand the rules.

Re: Harm in general
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:55:26 PM »
The signature move is quite clear that it does not involve taking harm.

There is no "default" about taking harm. Decide if a hunter will take harm based on what is happening in the game and the rules for specific moves that are being made.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »
The Daredevil Move doesn't say anything at all about taking harm on a success, except in the option that says "You don't suffer harm in return."  Which implies that you *do* take harm in return if you don't choose that option.  In the absence of the don't-take-harm-in-return option in the Signature Move, I wasn't sure if return harm was or wasn't assumed.  True, if I hadn't read the Daredevil Move, I wouldn't have wondered if return harm might be implied in the Signature Move.

Regardless: no automatic return-harm in the Signature Move, but there *is* harm in return unless you take the option that negates it in the Daredevil Move; harm will elsewhere be explicit.  Many thanks!

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
Yes, Daredevil Move implies harm by default, but that only applies to that move.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
Excellent, thanks again.