Why the 12+? Why not 13+?

• 3 Replies
Why the 12+? Why not 13+?
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Dear Vincent,

I'm curious why you chose 12+ as the cutoff for some of the advanced moves. The other categories of soft hit and full hit are spaced 3 points apart, so 13+ would seem more symmetrical. Plus, it can make those mind-blowing advanced move successes fairly common for the people with the high stats.

Was this a fairly intuitive decision--maybe you just wanted to make sure that even those rolling=0 would have a chance--or is there a specific reason 12+ was the cutoff you decided on?

Thanks in advance!

lumpley

Re: Why the 12+? Why not 13+?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Those are the reasons exactly: so that people rolling +0 would have a chance, and so that the mind-blowing advanced move successes would be fairly common for people with high stats.

I went back and forth on it for a long time, though. If anybody out there examines the question carefully and comes to the opposite conclusion, that 13+ would have been better, I can't begrudge them.

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:17 PM »
Gotcha, thank you!

Chroma

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
I've put out first session love letters that set the advanced moves at 13+ for some of my games and it's always been well received and caused no issues; makes for some amusement when people shout out "THIRTEEN!"

"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES