AW Breakdown of success/failure die rolls.

• 3 Replies
AW Breakdown of success/failure die rolls.
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
I recently ran a game of DW and one question I got asked was why is complete success 10+ as from a probability perspective you are most likely to get somewhere in the 7-9 range and no outright success!

I explained that I thought it was because 7-9 is more interesting than 10+, its not a failure but success with a consequence. 

Was I right? Was this the rational behind the breakdown of success failure as it was? Kinda curious really!

noclue

Re: AW Breakdown of success/failure die rolls.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
Even a 6 is not necessarily a failure. it's an opportunity for the GM to make a move.

So, the most likely result when you do something is, change of the status quo. You've got a reasonably good chance of getting something out it, but a reasonably good chance of getting something you didn't want as we'll.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
Even a 6 is not necessarily a failure. it's an opportunity for the GM to make a move.

So, the most likely result when you do something is, change of the status quo. You've got a reasonably good chance of getting something out it, but a reasonably good chance of getting something you didn't want as we'll.

That was something I tried to stress to the players as well, that a 6 or less does not mean a simple fail.  This game is not about binary success/failure and in fact neither should any game be for that matter. 

I guess I am interested in what drove Vincent to pick the numbers the way he did?  Did he do in depth analysis of probabilities to come up with 6- ,7-9 and 10+ ? Or was it just a gut feel ?

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »
He probably didn't need to do the analysis himself, since others have done it already.

Edit: How about some interpretation? Basically, on 2d6, the odds are weighted about 60%/40% in favor of success, but complete success is only about 10% likely.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:34:03 AM by strongbif »