Starcraft World

• 3 Replies

Jwok

Starcraft World
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
Hi all,

So yeah, I grew up on Starcraft (the first one). It is bathed in nostalgia for me. So, naturally, I've put together a rudimentary playbook for a reskin of Apocalypse World in the Starcraft universe. If your interested, give it a read through and tell me what you think.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_l_ZuHw6AsHZkh5MUVCS24yZ3c

Best,
Jamil
Welcome to Jwokalypse World
http://jwokalypseworld.weebly.com/

Re: Starcraft World
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:56:27 AM »
Hey, this is really cool. I don't have a whole lot to say at the moment, as I'm knee-deep in exams, but I think you've really cleverly warped the Starcraft universe into something very playable in the AW engine here!
+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Ambition knows no bounds.+++

Rogue Trader: Apocalypse

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Just read over this and I like the idea, but I would say shaving off the serial numbers is a good idea if anything just to play it safe.

What style of game do you have in mind with this?I mean, do you want to see mixed Protoss/Human/Zerg Hybrid groups? What do you want to push them toward? If its War, have you checked out the Regiment by John Harper?

Jwok

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
Hey, this is really cool. I don't have a whole lot to say at the moment, as I'm knee-deep in exams, but I think you've really cleverly warped the Starcraft universe into something very playable in the AW engine here!

Thanks man!

Just read over this and I like the idea, but I would say shaving off the serial numbers is a good idea if anything just to play it safe.

Thanks for the feedback Weaver! What part are you referencing here? I'm not actually looking to hide what I've done here - I just want to make sure I'm not crossing any legal or ethical boundaries in making this.

What style of game do you have in mind with this?I mean, do you want to see mixed Protoss/Human/Zerg Hybrid groups? What do you want to push them toward? If its War, have you checked out the Regiment by John Harper?

The "trench warfare" feel wasn't what I was shooting for with this reskin. I've only seen Regiment in passing at a Con, but it definitely sounds like a cool, evocative setting/hack. For me, I basically just wanted to play apocalypse world, in all of its principals and agendas, with the setting context of the Starcraft universe, right as you start out in the Terran campaign. SCV's complaining about being sent to the wastelands. The marshall trying to take care of his people (cause lord knows the magistrates don't give a fuck about them). A troop of psychofuck marines protecting a city from the hostile wildlife of the badlands, but only because they were ordered to. All that awesome shit.

This game is mostly about being a Terran in the wasteland. I still want to play to find out, and to make the characters lives seem real, I just wanna do it in starcraft world.

For other races, I figure the Zerg will always eventually make an appearance (too good not too really). I mostly imagine handling them as a Front (Landscapes / Breeding pits or Furnaces), so I didn't really write up any special rules for them. For the protoss (the LE playbooks), I imagine the otherness, the foreignness, and the fear of outsiders really coming in to play. Even if your colony is allied with them, I imagine the 10ft tall glowing eyed monsters coming off as hard to relate to, even if you're on the same side. I don't know how well I've backed this up with the playbooks, but thats my goal.
Welcome to Jwokalypse World
http://jwokalypseworld.weebly.com/