Sincere advice for hacking and fuckery.

• 1 Replies

Ariel

Sincere advice for hacking and fuckery.
« on: November 02, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »
If you haven't, go a play Vincent's other games a couple of times each.

I strongly recommend playing the Rock of Tahamaat and GHOST/ECHO (otherkind dice). You might get some stuff out of Dogs, Puppies or IAWA, but I think Rock of Tahamaat and Otherkind are both important to playing AW well.

I just played it (RoT) for the first time last weekend and I've been playing Apocalypse World on and off for three years now. And I finally just deeply grokked Moves and the relationship between the MC and the PCs.

I think it's also, after playing some Monsterhearts and a bunch of Dungeon World, that while Dungeon World is extremely successful (and I say this with zero malice; Adam is a personal friend) DW shouldn't have been an AW hack. And suffers for it. It's a great game, though, and remains my D&D emulator of choice.

Also, after a year of contemplation, the problems I'd been having with Eschaton are starting to be solved. Being solved because for that year I played other games. Like, card games, board games, computer games, (I also studied games being made, but that's another weirder thing) etc.

Just an idea.

Re: Sincere advice for hacking and fuckery.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
I'm really curious add to why you say Dungeon World ought'nt've been an AW hack. I'm not going to outright disagree, or anything, just with no context as to why beyond, "Monsterhearts," I'm at a loss as to how to interpret and respond to that.

But +1 on Rock of Tahamaat. Grokking that game helped me.