new character playbook: quarantine

• 66 Replies
Re: new character playbook: quarantine
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
I'm backing Human Contact because I like Shock but wasn't quite willing to re-ante for 1.1 and 1.2 after buying 1.0.

I'm curious about the Quarantine playbook though; I've found the Gunlugger's 2-Armor a little problematic in the two campaigns I've seen him, so I'm a bit agog at the concept of a 3-armor character.

I'm sure it's all fine...

Hey, Matthew, every Shock: owner gets free PDF point upgrades. Email joshua@glyphpress.com and I'll set you up with the 1.2 PDF. I of course want you to play with the best version of the rules available.

-J

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
I'm kind of shocked and awed that Vincent wrote such a fine Post-Apocalyptic TTRPG and has never played the finest Post-Apocalyptic CRPG.  But then, they are very different beasts... so I probably shouldn't be.

Bret

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »
Vincent - this is great. I just watched Pandorum recently and have been thinking about Apocalypse World on a dying world ship, and this is perfect for it.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »
Nemomeme: Actually oops! My mistake. Military body armor is still worth 2-armor, not 3.
Does that go for both the armor the quarantine gets automatically (which IS listed as 2-armor) and the armor contained in the Armory stasis option (which is listed as 3-armor)?  I'm assuming yes since they both have the same name and getting a hold of 6 sets of 3-armor sounds waaaay too freakin' good.

lumpley

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
Oops! Yes.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 11:54:56 PM »
Incidentally, this is one of those dumb questions that I feel compelled to ask nonetheless: is it technically allowed to switch to this playbook with an ungiven future advancement?  I can't really imagine ANY situation in which that would make sense, but like I said: feeling compelled to ask.  :)

lumpley

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
Technically allowed, sure, but not a guaranteed right. The relevant rule is on page 96, under "say this first and often."

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
It's a very good rule.

DannyK

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »
I'm glad to hear about the armor.  With 3-Armor, especially if Quarantines are allowed to take Gunlugger moves on their advances, the ideal solution to every problem becomes "I shoot everybody in the room".

lumpley

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
Hm. I'm pretty sure that, armor quite regardless, shooting everyone in the room is the ideal solution to vanishingly few problems.

Bret

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »
"The children of the hardhold are all getting sick. Their eyes are puffed shut and their tongues are so swollen they can't speak. What do you do?"
"I shoot everyone in the room."
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Well, sometimes you need to tweak things a little.  "I shoot people, one by one, until someone fixes this shit."

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
By the way, I want to say that I love how the really "Whoa, shit, that's crazy!" type interesting stuff in this playbook isn't in the moves.  That means I don't have to be worried about dropping the playbook on the table and saying, "Here's more options for you guys when you take moves from other playbooks."

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 01:40:36 PM »
Yo,

Another cool playbook. I especially like the illustration with the blackness bleeding away, as if to suggest that the Quarantine has all the answers. Yeah right!

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
By the way, I want to say that I love how the really "Whoa, shit, that's crazy!" type interesting stuff in this playbook isn't in the moves.  That means I don't have to be worried about dropping the playbook on the table and saying, "Here's more options for you guys when you take moves from other playbooks."

I think that Disciplined Engagement is kind of amazing.  The ability to decide how much harm you deal was, really, at the core of that whole Seize By Force debate we had a month or so ago.