Human Wizard/Cleric and bonus spell

• 10 Replies
Human Wizard/Cleric and bonus spell
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
So while to me this racial move was cristally clear, I had a bit of an argument with the cleric's player last time because he insisted that the move was intended to allow the cleric prepare the chosen spell from the wizard's list in addition to his 2 spell levels. So maybe it needs clarification? Same goes for the human wizard, some time ago the wizard player believed that his character knew a spell from the cleric's list in addition to the 3 wizard spells he got (but he was easily convinced).
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

sage

Re: Human Wizard/Cleric and bonus spell
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
Maybe "add to your spellbook" or "your list of spells" is a better wording. You don't prepare it for free.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
This
"your list of spells"
I think would be unequivocal. Something like:

Choose a spell of any level from the cleric's spell list. For you, now it's in the wizard's spell list, at the same level it was.

(I know it's obvious, but it will be even clearer to specify that the spell could be of any level, and that it keeps its level.)

stras

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
Follow up question (this was asked last time):

If the wizard takes 'Prodigy' and selects a first level spell (say: Detect Magic, or Magic Missile) does the spell then become a Rote and automatically get added to prep? (I rule yes since adding a 0th level spell doesn't increase cost).

And follow to the followup - is there any point in taking that on a Cantrip? (I rule no for one because cantrips have no level, but the question pertains to an elf and detect magic - which by the by is an awesome racial)

sage

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
A 1st level spell that would have its level reduced becomes a Rote/Cantrip.

A Rote/Cantrip that would have its level reduced stays a Rote/Cantrip.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:15:20 AM »
Related question: The cleric's First Aid moves say that Cure X Wounds spells "don't count against your limit of granted spells." (Or at least, that's what I saw on the GitHub site.) Shouldn't that be "is a rote for you?" Right now it sounds a lot like you could prepare as many Cure spells as you want.

sage

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
I'd never thought of it that way! Much better phrasing.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
A Rote/Cantrip that would have its level reduced stays a Rote/Cantrip.
How about:

Really The Basics
When you Cast a Spell to unleash a Rote you prepared, treat a miss of 6- like if you rolled a 7-9.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
These are all questions that I've been wondering about since I made my first wizard. I do have one more, though. Do you guys tell the DM what you've prepared when you commune, or just cast what's convenient at the time and then count it towards what you've prepared? As it's written, I think it's the first, but my tables do the second and it runs a little more smoothly.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
These are all questions that I've been wondering about since I made my first wizard. I do have one more, though. Do you guys tell the DM what you've prepared when you commune, or just cast what's convenient at the time and then count it towards what you've prepared? As it's written, I think it's the first, but my tables do the second and it runs a little more smoothly.

You declare spells when prepared.  It's not free-form, you have to make a guess at what you might need!

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »

The DnD-style Wizard has always had to prepare his spells ahead of time.

Knowing a spell that is perfect for a situation but not having it prepared is one of the classic frustrations of the Wizard.

However, you say your groups always play with version #2.  This is a common houserule in many DnD-style game I've played...  or not even a houserule: A simple refusal/unwillingness/inattentiveness to bother with the preparing of spells.  The GM has a lot on his plate and it's really not interesting to bother watching your Wizard's casting and spell prep.  Everyone just goes forward, retroactively declaring each prepared spell.

Now, while this is a common thing, it doesn't make it a GOOD thing for the game.  The limitations imposed by preparation are, generally, used to limit the Wizard's versatility.  A Wizard who can cast ANY spell in his spellbook is, in the 3e DnD parlance, just a Sorcerer with more spells known and better spell slot allocations.