System desired to make three-dimensional characters

• 5 Replies
System desired to make three-dimensional characters
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »
My PCs tend more towards caricature than character. Does anyone know of a system I can use to make them more interesting? I like things that frame it rather than general advice, like a questionnaire or test, rather than just general advice. General advice is still welcome, nonetheless. I know writing is an art, not a science, but the latter helps me focus and think.

In particular, I want to know how DW might uniquely aid this. One idea is that Q&A can be used to solicit input from other people in order to flesh characters out, though how much other players might enjoy that is iffy.

sage

Re: System desired to make three-dimensional characters
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
One of the GM's core responsibilities in DW is to ask questions, and that's a great place to add depth. Ask them about their characters. Where'd that signature weapon come from? Has your character been beyond the city walls before? etc. Don't just ask those up-front, ask them as they become relevant.

Also, don't be afraid of starting with caricature. When you start, yeah, the fighter may be a big gruff guy with a weapon. That's all you need to know to get started, don't worry about it. But as that gruff guy goes places, sees things, and you explore his past, he'll gain that depth.

If you really want character depth you might also look at Burning Wheel. That game has character depth out the wazoo and it rocks.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
Also, BONDS! Bonds do wonderful things about character depth! You should ask a thousand questions about their bonds! DW, as every game derived by apocalypse world, is all about character relationships, and they define the characters both as individuals and as a party way deeper than their skills or their quests or whatnot. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that these are not important aspects of a character and her story!)
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out the first few pages of a free Burning Wheel pdf. Sadly it didn't have the lifepaths, but I loved their character-driven philosophy. If the game were easier to run, I'd totally try it out. The intuitiveness of DW is a hard thing to let go of, though.

Agreed that RP is a game best played with two, which is why I like the bond focus. Still, it's so much easier to explore one anothers' characters if there's some depth to delve.

One thing I'm wary of is fake depth, or depth having to do with extraordinary circumstances rather than three-dimensional humanity. It's neat that your character is the subject of a prophecy and has a mysterious curse, but what are his fears, hopes, dreams, etc.?

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »
You might find useful the Extended Character Concept Generator, from Deeper in the Game.

Extended Character Concept Generator
A (personality trait) (profession/role) trying to (goal) despite her (flaw).

She wants to become (profession/positive trait), achieve (social status), overcome/move beyond (past trouble, mistake, tragedy). She believes in (ideal or personal credo) and can’t stand people who (believe other credo/behave in a certain way). People know her as (reputation) and expect that she will (achieve/fail/become something).

She is a part of (social group), is expected to obey (authority figure), assisted by (friend/group of friends), is opposed by (rival group).

She wants to earn respect/love of (NPC), see (NPC2/rival group) get their just desserts for (dirty deed), help (NPC3) deal with (problem/flaw), fulfill (promise made) for (NPC4), and protect (NPC5) from (personal flaw, danger, other NPC or group).

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »
Look, Burning Wheel is a very modular game and I actually fit the basic rules in two pages to play it for short term games; just try it!

It's neat that your character is the subject of a prophecy and has a mysterious curse, but what are his fears, hopes, dreams, etc.?
But those are exactly the questions you should ask!!!!

- what do you think about the prophecy?
- how the others usually look at you when they come to know you're the chosen one?
- was really your destiny to leave your poor family, or do you actually wanted to be away from them?
- do you wish to have passed more time with the love of your life before everything changed?

and so on!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:41:55 PM by (not that) adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.