How about Load = Strenght Score?

• 11 Replies
How about Load = Strenght Score?
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »
I saw there are a lot of problems with the thief's load and his starting equipment but I think even the bard and the ranger share the same problem.

So, how a bout making Load = Strenght Score for every class? It's straightforward and I'd like anything that uses a stat score instead of its modifier.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Re: How about Load = Strenght Score?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
I like that. Gives another score a use.

noofy

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
Hmmmm. Considering the range of load difference in the RAW based on class is 4 (5-9), perhaps an easy way to include both Class and Strength score in the calculation of a more variable load score would be to make load = Strength (score) - Class modifier.
Fighter's Load = Strength
Paladin's Load = Strength -1
Cleric's Load = Strength -2
Ranger's Load = Strength -3
Thief's Load = Strength -4
Bard's Load = Strength -4
Wizard's Load = Strength -4

This way a higher Strength score makes a BIG difference to your load capacity, but your intrinsic class potential does too. Say for instance you chose to be the wise, intelligent paladin, with a paltry strength of 9. This would give him a load of 8 which is one more than what he would have under the RAW. But if he chose a Strength of 17, that would give him a load of16! (which is 6 more than what he would gain under the RAW).

Conversely, the wizard with Strength 8 would have a load of 4 which is exactly the same as he would have under the RAW, whereas if for some wonderful reason you had a wizard with Strength 17, he would have a load of 13 (which is 6 more than what he would have under the RAW).

Food for load-bearing thought.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
Is that really necessary? Considering that a wizard will probably have a lower strength than a fight or paladin any way? I think the more straightforward the better.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
You missed the point. The starting equipments of the thief, the bard and the ranger often have more weight than the load a typical character of that class could carry. Using the raw strenght score for the load fixes this (and eliminates the calculations). Having the load of a thief being the strenght score -4 does not resolve the issue!

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »
I am not sure that I understand completely (either the rules or these posts--I'm new yet). Looking at the 2.3 rules, I see "Debilities give you a -1 to your modifier for one stat. They don't effect the base score (so being Weak won't effect your Load, just your Str modifier)." This makes me think that they intended the thief to have 5+ strength SCORE, rather than the modifier.

Adam - Are you suggesting just using the strength score without the +5?

What am I missing?

Thank you!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
When it's reported STR, you use the modifier. When there's the complete name, Strenght, you use the score. About Load, you can see it's 5+STR, so it's 5+ strenght modifier. For hit points, it's written 6+Constitution, so it's 6+ constitution score.

In my version of the pdf, you can see it written on page 12, just below where the stats are described.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
Gotcha! Thank you for the clarification!

The text I quoted is from page 14 and is repeated again at the bottom of page 167 to 168. I wonder if they were considering doing what you suggested, using the base score, instead but just haven't updated the text yet.

That would be a major, major jump with the class base number plus the full strength stat though (the way I thought it was) compared to the +STR. Maybe it would be most balanced if it was only straight strength score as you suggest.

Now that I'm thinking about it: fictionally, a strong thief should be able to carry more than a weak fighter. Just saying.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
We've definitely discussed this as an option.  I'd say we're 90% likely to implement Strength as base for load.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:55:22 PM »
If I'm not mistaken Load, as written, doesn't necessarily place a hard limit on how much you can carry.
Keep your Load in mind—it limits how much you can easily carry. -- page 23, Beta 2.3

To me, this says that you can carry more than your Load would allow for, but that it isn't easy. Beta 2.3 also states that carrying more than your Load causes problems.
Characters are limited in how much they can carry by their Load. ... Carrying items whose total weight is more than your load causes problems. -- page 14, Beta 2.3

I would imagine that it would make for slow going through a dungeon, and present difficulties in combat and for other special maneuvers (whenever a Move comes into play, perhaps), but that it isn't strictly disallowed.

Fictionally, I see adventurers sloughing off backpacks and other extraneous items before leaping into combat or attempting to climb a sheer cliff. It just seems like those items would get in the way anyway and that most of them would seek to set down items they won't need for the immediate task at hand.

A few classes (like the Thief and Ranger) might have an interest in only carrying items within their Load so that they can always have their tools on hand no matter where they go, but who knows.

Additionally, this makes ambushing the characters even more effective for those carrying more Weight than their Load allows.

Any thoughts?
"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)" -- Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
There is even a special move that defines how your encumberance impacts you:

Encumbrance
When you make a move while carrying weight up to or equal to Load, you're fine. When you make a move while carrying weight equal to load+1 or load+2, you take -1. When you make a move while carrying weight greater than load+2, you have a choice: drop at least 1 weight and roll at -1, or automatically fail.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
We've definitely discussed this as an option.  I'd say we're 90% likely to implement Strength as base for load.
you guys rock.