Spellbooks and spells

• 3 Replies

noofy

Spellbooks and spells
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:02:59 AM »
So, I was reading this gem of a blogpost by Jeff:
http://jrients.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/giants-in-dying-earth.html

and it struck me...
Spells are AWESOME. Just like with a fighter's signature weapon or a ranger's companion, or a Bard's instrument, they should be personalised and significant.

So, when we next have a wizard in our game, I'm going to have them write out their spellbook especially, just like we used to in Moldvay, and encourage them to name their spells. Its not cage, its The Charm of Forlorn Encystment! Its not detect magic, its Houlart’s Blue Extractive!

Ooooh, this is cool, I just need to make up some parchment like, blank min-spellbooks for future use.

Re: Spellbooks and spells
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »
This is a mad idea!

Would work well combined with Johnstone's spellbook creation move:

My spellbook… (choose up to 4 options):
?   …consists of multiple volumes.
?   …constantly reorders its own contents.
?   …has a reputation.
?   …is dedicated to a specific extraplanar entity.
?   …is beat to shit and falling apart.
?   …is bound in human skin.
?   …is engraved and decorated with gold.
?   …is lavishly illustrated.
?   …is made of metal.
?   …is my own creation.
?   …is perfumed and scented.
?   …is stolen.
?   …is written in a dead language.
?   …was made from the corpse of a fantastic beast.
?   …was written by demons.
?   …was written in human blood.

By default, your spellbook can hold up to a dozen spells or rituals. Give it a name and choose up to 2 tags for it:
?   Alive: Your spellbook is a living thing (+alive).
?   Copy: There are multiple copies of this book in existence.
?   Encrypted: Written in code that cannot be read by others without powerful magic.
?   Inconspicuous: Does not look or read like a magical tome.
?   Insight: Grants +1 to rolls involving one type of magic when consulted.
?   Large: Holds up to two dozen spells or rituals but is bulky and cumbersome.
?   Limitless: Holds an infinite amount of non-magical writing.
?   Monograph: Choose one subject from the Sage's list of specialties. Your spellbook contains extensive information about this topic.
?   Poisonous: Those who touch it, save for you, are poisoned. Choose a poison type.
?   Secure: Magical locks or wards prevent others from opening it.
?   Small: Holds half a dozen spells or rituals but is easy to conceal and transport.
?   Trapped: Those who open or read it without your permission suffer harm (2-harm intimate; applied, magic, trap). Choose a damage type.
?   Unusual shape: You spellbook is not a book. It is a scroll, perhaps, or a memory cube, a box full of intricate clockwork, a collection of engraved coins or knotted strings, or a deck of playing cards that must be laid out in specific patterns.
?   Warded: You always know where your spellbook is and who touches it.

noofy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
Yeah Olly, exactly! I'd forgotten how cool those creation lists were. We need a Compendium playbook for magic users - Illusionists, sorcerers, diabolists, shamans, prestidigitators. Oh the wizard class is a hidden cache of story delights :)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
You could write spells through a variation of John Harper's spells in World of Dungeons:

Choose 1 or 2 elements. Choose 1 verb. There is your spell. Give it a name. Describe what it does in play, when you cast it.