Real life battlebabe!

• 9 Replies

DWeird

Real life battlebabe!
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
So I saw District 13 a bit ago, and seeing this particular chase scene immediatelly made me think "crap, he's a battlebabe, isn't he?"

But, while I finally get the appeal of playing a battlebabe now, it also made me think...

Isn't the fact that the playbook has custom guns and weapons on it a big fat misdirect? Giving them awesome weapons seems to say: hey, look! This one is good at fighting! Pick it if you want a battle! And that is a hell of a lie - battlebabes, with their puny hard, are downright sucky when things come to actually having to shoot your guns or bloody your blade (you can debate this but I probably won't believe you).

The fictional battlebabes (David Belle, that dude in Equillibrium, Hit Girl, River in any of her fight scenes) do something different than fighting, I think... They *dodge* until the enemies around them are dead, and use the environment and the enemy's weapons to inflict their harm.

And you can't do that with the battlebabe as written (or can you?). If that's the case, it's a problem easily solvable via custom playbook moves, probably.

But first, I would of course like to know if I am totally totally wrong about all of this.

Shane

Re: Real life battlebabe!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
How about a custom move to do with using the environment as a weapon, maybe when you aren't armed?

Regards,

Shane

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
What basic move does diving in between two enemies so that they shoot one another best correspond to?

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
What basic move does diving in between two enemies so that they shoot one another best correspond to?
That's a great point.  Plus, some Battlebabes go aggro with cool, so that's fighty, but not battle.

agony

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
That's a great point.  Plus, some Battlebabes go aggro with cool, so that's fighty, but not battle.

Yeah, any decent Battlebabe's going to Go Aggro with Cool, so he/she is bitching in a fight.  Our battlebabe does this with a 4 harm shotty, ouch.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't think to the battlebabe as a.. parkourer(?) parkourist(?) tracer(?), but I think it would be a great supplement or a wonderful new playbook

Chris

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »
The battlebabe's weapons are detailed on the sheet so they are detailed in the fiction. The angel has a .38. The battlebabe has an ornate, hi-powered handgun.

This is important.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
My battlebabe kicked twelve kinds of ass in battles. Go aggro with Cool, plus Merciless, plus I had a +1 Hard in no time (and NTBFW). Sooooo badass.

I've heard the argument that Battlebabes aren't good at fighting before, and I don't buy it for a second.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 03:14:12 AM »
I've heard the argument that Battlebabes aren't good at fighting before, and I don't buy it for a second.

They suck at fighting compared to, say, a Gunlugger but let's be honest, the guy's a sherman tank on legs.

Our battlebabe was great at causing trouble at first, and not so at resolving it. But in battle ? Oh boy. Sure, she wouldn't go head first both guns blazing like our gunlugger, but she sneaked (under fire, with Cool), went aggro when appropriate (again, with Cool) and had stuff adequate for that kind of job (bladed chains for surprise area attack, silenced and scoped rifled). She was fucking deadly from the start.

As I see it, battlebabes are the strangers who comes to town and stirr  shit up. The Clint Eastwoods and Steven Seagals, the Bruce Lees and the Chow Yun Fats. When they come, everybody looks at them, allies and ennemies, they are the center of attention and they're taken seriously. Trouble follows them. When they leave, things will never be the same. Battlebabes are less about who they are and more about how they're seen, me think.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:27 AM »
Also: I've been watching the Wire lately. The way the story follow these or those characters and the disjointed nature of the plot make it totally look like my AW game, but that's not the point.

The point is 1st season Omar is how I see battlebabes. The guy is hot, intriguing, ambiguous, makes his own rules, goes solo against whole gangs. In the 9th episode or so, he robs a cocaine stash. Not by gunning down everybody. See, he did so before. People know he can do that. So he just stands in front of the door, with a bulletproof vest and a shotgun, smoking his cig. He's just waiting for the people inside to throw their stash by the window because they know it's fucking Omar who's standing there with a shotgun in a bulletproof vest.

See for yourself (no spoiler): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuRRhtGQw

Screams Cool+3 to me.

He's all about acting under fire and going aggro. When he does seize by force, it's often messy for both side, especially for him. He seldom does so, and only when he's losing his shit, like when trying to avenge his dead lover.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:58:00 AM by gregpogor »