Playbooks?

• 8 Replies
Playbooks?
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »
Bit of scouring doesn't seem to have helped, so...

I have the rulebook, with:
Get 3 or more players, including you. Choose one player to be the
Master of Ceremonies. Since this is the Master of Ceremonies’
playbook
, from now on I’m going to call the MC “you.”

Just wondering, is there a player playbook? Something to make things easier on those not interested in the MC's stuff, just for them to learn how to play basically.

Re: Playbooks?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
There's actually a whole bunch of them . . .
http://apocalypse-world.com/ApocalypseWorld-playbooks.pdf

Chroma

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
Just wondering, is there a player playbook?

The "Moves" playbook is, essentially, the player's guide to AW and can be found near the end of the above mentioned .pdf.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
I see. Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
I somehow think there's another question under the first one. Because yes, the character splats and the Moves splat are pretty much everything you need as a player, but they don't tell you everything. They don't tell you how much players participate in creating the world, or how you can help set the dials on violence and creepiness in your game, and there are things the MC is responsible for bringing to the table that shape how the players experience the game (fronts and threats, mostly). Most of that is stuff that is pretty clear after about 5 minutes of face-to-face time, but still, something you have to play to see. So, do you have any follow-up questions?

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:18:54 AM »
I don't think there were really any questions I wouldn't find an answer to after just a few minutes of playing.
My only worry, is that people are going to be bored of the descriptive, story-telling side of Apocalypse World, as opposed to more action and actually doing stuff.

[edit=1]I made my own little player books, containing a riff-raff of info they might need. Might not be very good, but still, what do you think...

[edit=2]Changed slightly:
.doc file download (link)

Also, worth noting, the Additional Moves section would be dependent upon what you want, so for me I put the two in there that I was going to use, but you might be wanting to add the optional battle moves, for example.[/edit]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:01:58 AM by Anuttymous »

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
Cool. And don't worry about it being not enough action. Since as theMC you can constantly turn to your players and say "What are you doing?". Or better yet, something like "You're sitting eating lunch, and Dremmer comes up and stands too close to you. She's mad as hell. What did you do to piss her off?"

Chroma

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
[edit]I made my own little player books, containing a riff-raff of info they might need. Might not be very good, but still, what do you think...

I think you should take "to do it, do it" to heart and extrapolate that "to learn to play Apocalypse World, play Apocalypse World"... it's the easiest way and I'd even say it's a *better* way to learn to play, for non-MC players, than reading the book.

The tri-fold Moves playbook in the playbook .pdf is a little less intimidating than 12 pages of "read these rules", I'd say.  It's much easier, in my experience, to explain things and answer questions as players are looking at the character playbooks during a first session than doing a pre-game explanation.

And, don't worry about a lack of action; the MC moves *demand* action... and your players will shock you with their actions in response... that snowball with grow and grow and grow!  *laugh*

Best of luck exploring Apocalypse World!
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »
Thanks for commenting on it.
As for 12 pages of intimidating words, it is admittedly looming, though I had planned on using it after our initial first session, more so they can expand their knowledge. Plus, I'd tell them the second half isn't as necessary to read.