What should I have (as MC) to play?

• 11 Replies
What should I have (as MC) to play?
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
So I've been having just terrible luck getting a game of Poison'd off the ground.  I've been trying for about a month.  At this point, I'm ready to say "Screw it, let's play Apocalypse World instead!" (see, I feel like I want at least 4 players for Poison'd, I'm not worried about that for AW).

But I'm the kind of GM who likes to prepare or even over-prepare.  Since the official Front sheet and MC sheet (or book, or whatever it's going to be... I HAVE seen and MC thing of some kind mentioned, right?  I'm not imagining that, am I?) have yet to be released, I'm looking for some input:

What sorts of information should be on a Front sheet?
What kinds of references or whatnot would you put on an MC cheat sheet?

Any other really useful things to have on hand as a first time MC at the beginning of the game?

Re: What should I have (as MC) to play?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
My MC cheat sheet(s) should be finished this evening. I'll post it and link back here.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
The MC book is availabe as a PDF-prerelease, I do believe.

http://theunstore.com/index.php/unstore/game/83
Should have everything you need, unless I'm misinterperting your question.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:03:06 PM »
My MC cheat sheet(s) should be finished this evening. I'll post it and link back here.
That's awesome, John!  Thanks!

Quote from: Antisinecurist
link=topic=160.msg1003#msg1003 date=1278445708
The MC book is availabe as a PDF-prerelease, I do believe.

http://theunstore.com/index.php/unstore/game/83
Should have everything you need, unless I'm misinterperting your question.
You are misinterpreting my question.  :)  I bought the prerelease already.  Certain things are mentioned in the book, however, that aren't yet available (notably the Front sheet and expanded character sheet.  I believe the book also makes reference to an MC sheet, though I might be mistaken).  What I'm looking for (or looking to create myself) is a Front sheet and a sheet for reference as the MC.  I imagine it would have a list of MC moves, probably a list of basic player moves as well, possibly reminders about the principles... stuff like that.  The really important stuff I'll need to remember as I MC the game but that I don't want to have to constantly reference the main text for all the time.  Make sense now?

Ariel

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
You need: some paper, a list of names, some apocalyptic imagery, the list of moves and principles, and few preconceptions.

Nudge the players to make plans and then populate and complicate.

DONT MAKE FRONT FOR THE FIRST SESSION
THATS AGAINST THE RULES MAN

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
John - an explicit space where the MC can put what the PCs have as their current highlighted stats might be cool.  Or hot.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
DONT MAKE FRONT FOR THE FIRST SESSION
THATS AGAINST THE RULES MAN
I know, but because I'm insane and always over-prepare, I'd kind of like to have a Front Sheet even though I won't be making fronts until after the first session.  :)

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
I updated my PDF with two MC sheets at the back. Not record sheets, but rather cheat sheets with some handy info, like threat types and their moves, etc.

http://www.onesevendesign.com/aw/aw_sheets_jsh_0706.pdf

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
John Harper, you are totally awesome.

If you care about such a minor thing, I'll point out that the word Harm next to the countdown clock is adjust just slightly higher on three on the character sheets than the other: the battlebabe, the brainer, and the skinner.  Just something I noticed when skimming through the pages.

But again: awesome.  I was slightly concerned that my friends may not be cool with the tiny character sheets inside the playbooks (though I love the playbooks in general) so I'll probably bring these as well.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
I'll second that - John Harper, those sheets are awesome :)

Any chance you've worked something up for recording fronts during play?

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
I just use a notebook for Fronts and general game notes, so I don't have a special record sheet.

It should be easy to whip one up, though. If I have time this evening, I'll post one.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »
Incredible. Thanks for the download.