Playbook Idea, The Viper´s tongue

• 25 Replies
Re: Playbook Idea, The Viper´s tongue
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 06:03:39 AM »
i'm having difficulty seeing the "get a gang" and "get a holding' options as ones that make sense for this character. this book seems to be about being the second in command and having a gang or a holding implies leadership which doesn't seem to fit

Chroma

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
i'm having difficulty seeing the "get a gang" and "get a holding' options as ones that make sense for this character.

I have to agree with this... I could see getting gigs and a crew as a replacement for at least one of those options.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Arvid

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
i'm having difficulty seeing the "get a gang" and "get a holding' options as ones that make sense for this character.

I have to agree with this... I could see getting gigs and a crew as a replacement for at least one of those options.

Absolutely.

If s/he comes to an overt position of power, maybe it's time to make the switch to Hardholder.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
i'm having difficulty seeing the "get a gang" and "get a holding' options as ones that make sense for this character. this book seems to be about being the second in command and having a gang or a holding implies leadership which doesn't seem to fit
Yeah, that´s true. I had the idea of including an explanation of how those "get a gang/holding" could work: you get them, but you´re not their formal leader. There´s sb else "in charge", and you´re the second in command, but you´re the one issuing all orders.

But it´s kind of awkward anyway. It´d be better to put them aside and grab 2 new improvement options. Thoughts?
-Getting gigs could work, but a Viper having a sort of job isn´t exactly part of my concept. Maybe if the group explains it as getting a crew and putting them to work...
-A sharp +1 (+3 max) to replace the other advancement would be nice. It was a move I thought the viper lacked, but recently I saw the Angel and he´s got it as an advancement, not a special move.

Chroma

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
-Getting gigs could work, but a Viper having a sort of job isn´t exactly part of my concept. Maybe if the group explains it as getting a crew and putting them to work...

Don't look at it as a "job", but as the Viper working behind the scenes to get things done... either directly, or through their crew... bringing home the sweet jingle...

The player will do it to do it and it'll all be cool...

-A sharp +1 (+3 max) to replace the other advancement would be nice. It was a move I thought the viper lacked, but recently I saw the Angel and he´s got it as an advancement, not a special move.

It's not a move for the Angel so that other PCs can't snag it as a "Move from another playbook"... but it's totally valid as an advancement!
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Arvid

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
Move suggestion:

Dirty fingerprints all over
Whenever a person, event or thing is introduced, roll +Sharp.
10+, you have your strings in it. Maybe you made it happen for some reason, maybe they owe you, or maybe you know where it is hidden.
7-9, you know something about it. What they need, where it is or who has it's strings in it. Take +Forward when acting on this.
On a miss, someone finds out it is connected to you in an inconvinient way.

About the holding thing: How about you could design your Vipers influence, just like you design a hardholders holding, a hocus' cult or a Maestro D's establishment? This could influence exactly what options are available and what obligations come up when rolling Behind the curtain.
As advancements, you could have your influence become stronger, wider, more obscure or more lucrative.

Something like this, but with mechanical implications also:

Create your Spider's Web/Viper's Nest/Weave of Influence/whatever.

You are the soothsayer of (choose one)
- A band of dirty street urchins
- A gang of violent people
- A hardholder and his lieutenants
- A handful of key people in the area
- A boss and his organisation
- A cult
- Unwashed masses
- Merchants, caravans and/or raiders

They are also (choose two)
- Wealthy
- Numerous, choose another group of affiliates
- Gullible (Scapegoats are available!)
- Spread over great distances
- Knowledgable
- Organised

Also, choose one
- Demanding
- Violent
- Poor
- Confused

For your personal security, choose one:
- They consider you harmless
- They greatly respect you
- Webs upon webs of hidden influence
- They are dependent on you
- They are unknowing of each other
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:20:23 PM by Arvid »

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
I missed this when I was looking before, but Khimus, were you intending for the stat lines to be as unequal as they are?  It was my understanding that the total for a normal stat line was supposed to be +3, possibly lower or higher depending on the playbook, but that they were supposed to be equal to other stat lines for that playbook.  At the moment your second and fourth lines are both lower than average, coming in at +2, instead of the +3 for the first and third line (with the third line at +3 because the second +2 counts as +3).

Anyways, I really like Arvid's suggestion of Dirty Fingerprints All Over, and I think the suggestion of building your own web is cool too.  Though I wonder: how would that work out in terms of playbook balance?  Having a crowd of people who are (ostensibly) yours is a pretty big bonus.  Maybe you'd have one fewer starting moves?

Arvid

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
Considering that The Viper stands outside organizations so to speak, here's another suggestion for how to handle Behind the Curtain / The Web.

---

Inner circle
Name four people you hold influence over (more might be added in play):
Name / Influence through

Why do they listen to you? (Pick one for each)
Loyalty, thankfulness, gullability, simplemindedness, greed, paranoia, ambition, addiction,

Why are they valuable to you? (Pick one for each)
Strength, expertise, secrets, wealth, resources, charisma

You interact predominantly with them through (Pick one)
Threats, promises, exchanges, lies, services

The web
Name six people or things that you influence through your inner circle (more might be added in play):
Name / Influenced through whom?

Both actual play and characters improvements might add/subtract what people you influence and what their resources are.

Behind the curtains
(The Viper always gets this move) When trying to get your circle or web to deliver a thing, a person or an event, roll +Sharp. On a hit, it happens.
10+, pick four. 7-9 pick two:
- Nobody of your people gets hurt or compromised
- They don't require anything in return right now
- It can't be traced to you
- It happens just the way you want it to
- It gets just the amount of attention you want it to
On a miss, the influence you hold over them is reversed or turns against you.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:40:55 PM by Arvid »

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
I like this a lot. I'd call the role The Grease.

"That guy's the Grease around here."

He's what the squeaky wheel gets, you know? He knows how to lubricate various arrangements. Plus he's basically nothing, just the stink left over after you fry up some sewer trout.

Orion

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
I think you could have leadership over a gang, while being the power behind the throne of a hardholder...

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
I beleive that getting a gang means to go on the front of the stage and changing playbook. I think that what is suggested by Arvid (Inner circle and the Web) is much more appropriate. I would just impose names for the people the Viper has influence upon, just like the Maestro D has imposed names for his regulars, such as:

Inner circle
You hold influence over :
Marsh ______________
Scibber _____________
Holster _____________
Two Faces __________