Moves that affect / modify other moves

• 1 Replies
Moves that affect / modify other moves
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »
So, I think this is a nice, mostly-unexplored design/hack-space. There are a few like this in the core game and a few in hacks, but I'm interested in where they'll go from here.

I don't have much to say, yet, on the topic, but I do have a few examples.

Whenever you use a gun as part of another move (usually to Go Aggro or Seize With Force, but not always), take +1 to the roll. On a 7-9, the MC chooses one of the following. One a 6-, you choose 3.

- You bring heavy legal trouble down upon yourself, for possession or use of a firearm.
- You shoot someone, intentionally or accidentally, and they're hurt bad (+1 Harm).
- You lose your gun, either to another person or just plain lost.
- Your reputation is affected - for better or worse, people know you're packing.

---

You can use magic to influence or improve almost any other move. When you do, roll +weird and do the following:
10+: Take a +2 to the move's roll.
7-9: Take a +1 to the move's roll.
6-: Take a -1 to the move's roll.

Regardless, add the following to the modified move's roll:
10+: You awe or impress one or more viewers with your magic.
7-9: Choose 2 from the following list. If you had a hit on the above roll, you may choose to forgo your bonus to avoid any penalties suffered.
6-: Choose 4 from the following list.

- Magical feedback harms you or a bystander at the MC's choice (1-harm).
- You're temporarily disoriented (s-harm).
- Your connection to the magical currents is distorted (-1 Weird until you next sleep).
- The magic will take an hour or more to perform successfully.
- The magic will require some material cost, rare or expensive, to perform successfully.

---

When you wear the carcass or carry the head of some beast or monster, you terrify all those who see you. Take +1 to any rolls to Go Aggro, but -2 on rolls to Seduce or Manipulate.

---

These are just examples (and the magic one's probably too clunky), but for some reason, moves and ideas like these really excite me, so I want to see what other people come up with, and what folks think.

Re: Moves that affect / modify other moves
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
I really, really like your magic moves. I want to do something similar in the hack I'm working on (Dark Sun), where you have different effects from magic (such as defiling where it can destroy plant matter and turn the ground to ash and whatnot).

Thanks for posting this. Great inspiration and ideas.