Into the Badlands- how to solve a problem like MK?

• 4 Replies

SJE

Into the Badlands- how to solve a problem like MK?
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »
So, I'm looking to run a game of Apocalypse World 2nd Ed (AW2) using the premise and setting for the tv show "Into the Badlands" S1 as an 8 hour con game.   Hardholder= Baron Quinn,  Gunlugger = Sunny, Battlebabe= the  Widow, Angel = Veil.  Essentially starting with the initial motivations.

Where I'm struggling  is how to include M.K.   He is the MacGuffin that everyone wants or interacts with - and while they could be handled as an NPC, it could be more interesting as a PC.  Where I'm struggling is that I dont see an obvious playbook to slot them into without writing a whole new Custom playbook.  Any thoughts?

Mucho gracias,

SJE

Munin

Re: Into the Badlands- how to solve a problem like MK?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
perhaps an adaptation of the Child Thing?

SJE

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
I wound up creating my own, that drew a little from the Doomed in Masks.

Name: M.K.    -’Gifted’ Playbook

Look: Boy, worn clothing, smooth face, haunted eyes that go black when you bleed.

Gear: Azra medallion,  Your Kung Fu is weak: 1 Armour.  1 harm.

Moves: You get all the basic moves.  You get “My Curse/My Gift” and choose one more:

HX- everyone introduces their character by name, look and outlook. Take your turn.

Baron Quinn:
Regent Sunny:
The Widow- Minerva:
Doctor Veil:

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask the following:

Which one of you is hunting me for my secret power?  Write : -1 Hx,
Which one of you has a mysterious connection to Azra : Hx 2
Which one of you is sympathetic to my plight : 3 Hx

On the others’ turns, answer their questions as you like. At the end, choose one of the characters
with the highest Hx on your sheet. Ask that player which of your stats is most interesting, and highlight it. The MC will have you highlight a second stat too.

SJE

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:03 PM »
Improvement

Whenever you roll a highlighted stat, and whenever you reset your Hx with someone,
mark an experience circle. When you mark the 5th, improve and erase.
Each time you improve, choose one of the options. Check it off; you can’t choose it  again.

Stats: Cool = 0 Hard = 0 Hot= +1  Sharp 0 Weird 3

SJE

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
‘Gifted’ Special :  When you and another character have sex, tell them a secret about yourself – If they feel sympathetic to you, both gain +1 Hx.

Gifted Moves:
My Curse/My Gift:  when you are cut, your eyes turn black and ultraviolence ensues.  You will kill all NPC’s present and inflic 5 Harm on PC’s present before collapsing exhausted, probably into unconsciousness taking 1 Harm (ignoring armour) yourself. Roll + Weird and on a 10+ you retain some control and can choose who you spare. On a 7-9 you can name 1 person to spare.
Each time you use this move mark Doom:

Doom Track:
 o o o o o  - on 5 Doom clear and mark one of the following:
o- life becomes untenable
o- The Abbots show up to collect you and stuff you into The Box.
o- The enemy hunting you had captured you and has the leverage they need to make you into their weapon.

-Learn  Kung Fu – your Kung Fu improves to 2 Harm/ 2 Armour.

- Crushing Hard- name a love interest. Whenever you have a tender moment or save each others life or from significant danger or harm, gain +1 Hx with them.

- Trail of Azra- Create a new Hx relationship with the City of Azra at +1. Whenever you gain another clue or image relating to it, gain +1 Hx. When you hit +4 Hx, reset as normal to +1 Hx and mark experience and achieve a concrete step to going home.

- Out of the Fire, Into the Frying Pan – When you are in a bad sitch, roll with Weird for a lucky series of events to get you out of your current predicament. On a 10+ you get out fine or  make a new friend who can help you later. On a 7-9 you get out but at a cost, sacrifice or loss.