Custom Move for Slenderman

• 2 Replies
Custom Move for Slenderman
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
Hey all! I'm taking my first stab at any PbtA tonight with some Monster of the Week action! I love the flavor of the fiction it looks to provide and am going to dump some players against Slenderman (Torturer: to hurt and terrify) tonight and came up with a custom move to represent building insanity, terror, and the compulsion to do things for the monster, and wanted some more experienced eyes on it.

When you First See Slenderman in a Scene roll+Cool
On a 10+ nothing happens.
On a 7-9 draw on your character sheet.
On a 6 or less, count how many are on your sheet. If you have less than 3, draw 3 on your sheet. If you have 4-9 the Keeper will tell you what you feel compelled to do, and you get a nosebleed. If you have 10+ the Keeper will tell you what you feel compelled to do, and you have -1 ongoing until you do it.

What do people think?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:04:55 PM by ChaosModifier »

Re: Custom Move for Slenderman
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 05:22:15 AM »
It's best not to have any "nothing happens" results - maybe on a 10+, let the hunter erase a mark (if they have any)?

I also like to add an incentive to do bad stuff at a monster's whim - I'd offer "Mark experience when you do what the Slenderman wants" in addition to the effects you have listed on a 6 or less.

Re: Custom Move for Slenderman
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:36:11 AM »
In my experience, 10+ can even be made more active without actually changing the rules.

On a 10+ you resist the slenderman's will (for now) and get to act immediately without being compelled.

That might be exactly the same as 7-9 minus making an X, but it feels more like something was accomplished.