A Custom "Seize By Force" Move

• 0 Replies
A Custom "Seize By Force" Move
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
'm currently putting together my fronts for the second session of my group's new Apocalypse World campaign, and I put together the following reworded Seize by Force move in order to address the issue I have it. Specifically, that the character making the move is guaranteed to take harm even on a 10+.

I very nearly ported in John Harper's engage in violence move from his Eye of Chaos hack as a custom move (supplemental to Go Aggro and Seize by Force), but I ened up going with the move detailed below.

I still plan on using the standard Seize by Force move as written in the book for the remainder of our campaign to see how it works in extended play before making any changes. However, I wanted to share it here because I was curious if anyone else with the same issue did something similar for their game. Or if not, what reasons they decided to keep the move as written.

When you try to seize something by force, or to secure your hold on something, roll+hard. On a hit choose 2. On a 10+, you outmaneuver your opponent, avoiding harm and inflicting it as established. On a 7-9, you and your opponent(s) trade harm as established.

• you take definite hold of it.
  • you suffer little harm. Take -1 harm.
  • you inflict terrible harm. Take +1 harm.
  • you impress, dismay or frighten your enemy.