Rule question : Hardholding/Surplus in the wealth move

• 3 Replies
Rule question : Hardholding/Surplus in the wealth move
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:10:27 PM »
Hello,

I've MC'd my 4th session of AW with 2 friends these last weeks, and we're totally big fans of the game. One thing totally great is that it's so easy to include new players who actually never played a RPG game in their life. My experience with them is by far the best with AW. But I'm not here to discuss it, I'll do in another post.

I'm struggling with the Surplus of the hardholding. I've searched these last days to find an answer, but couldn't. Here it is:

- There's a list of Surplus tags in the book : Barter, Growth, Insight, Party, Stupor, ...
- But as I understood it, when a Hardholder creates a hardholding, the only possibilities offered is that his surplus will be n-barter. 1-barter as a foundation, and +1barter or -1barter depending on his choices in the list.
- As I understood it, the wealth move is : with 10+ you activate your surplus (n-barter), on 7-9 you activate your surplus AND 1 of your want, on a miss you only activate ALL of your wants.

So, when do you have a hardhold with Stupor, or Party? In the list, you can only have Barter or Growth as surplus.

Am I missing something? Does these surplus count for non-PC hardholds?

Thanks for answering

Re: Rule question : Hardholding/Surplus in the wealth move
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
Those surplus tags, I believe, apply to the Hocus' Followers, not a Hardholder's holding. It's possible of course to apply those tags to a holding when it makes sense in the fiction, but it isn't done by default. You are correct that a Hardholder only gets n-barter when the holding has surplus.

Ebok

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »
The hardhold is typically too big of a place to get something like "party" or "stupor" without that actually becoming negative. Those are disruptions everywhere in a large system. A small system (some follows for example) could can more easily embrace these these tags as residual of a roll. That isn't the say a hardholder cannot attempt to throw  party, just that it's not any time life is good, cause that would make it very hard to survive. Now there are certainly examples where this could work but.... That's probably not the default ten plus though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:23:46 AM by Ebok »

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »
Hi,

Right, these surplus are linked to the Hocus, didn't realize. It totally solves the question, ty!