Losing spells and other trifling matters

• 4 Replies
Losing spells and other trifling matters
« on: October 31, 2015, 02:47:48 AM »
Hey Vincent! The document is looking awesome! I hope I can find an opportunity to play it!

I have a couple of detail questions:

- When losing a spell/ghost, you roll to find out which one goes away. I'm assuming this is an example of "roll and choose", and that you roll two dice, since nothing else is specified? Then what happens if both are 5 or 6?

- If I have an attendant Ghost, and it gets to assign one on my behalf, will it be the GM or me doing the assigning? My immediate instinct would be that the ghost is an npc, and so the GM does it. In that case, will I know beforehand?

lumpley

Re: Losing spells and other trifling matters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
Aha, good catch.

On spells: No, you just lose one at random. Roll a d4 if you have one handy.

On the ghost: Yes, the GM assigns it. You don't get to know beforehand, you find out when everybody reveals.

-Vincent

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 08:58:48 AM »
Oh I meant to say. Odds are, if you find yourself accumulating spells or ghosts, you'll pursue wizardry and thereby open up more slots for attendant magics. Not that I've included the rules for that in the playtest document! But once they're available, I expect losing spells or ghosts because you have too many to be rare.

-Vincent

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:11:20 AM »
Great! Thanks for clearing it up.

To my mind, it seems weird that you can lose a ghost like that. The spells are in your mind, but the ghosts are attending on you because you do something for them or because you have a hold on them. That service/hold doesn't go away just because I get a new spell. But I guess that I choose to gain a new spell, so I get to decide if I want to risk losing a ghost.

Also, I do like that the GM assigns for the ghost - it's a pleasant surprise. Though I can't help thinking that it might get a little clunky, the GM having to assign for all npc's and for the ghosts.

I'm wondering if it would be an idea to use tokens or chips for assigning in combat - I can make stacks for damage, defence and advantage. It would make it possible to see what everybody is doing. Then the GM's chip just goes on top of the relevant pile, just like I can add tokens for my weapons and armour.

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
I find the idea of a new ghost or spell displacing a curse someone's pronounced on you pretty entertaining. Also vice versa.

Not that I've included rules for curses yet.

Anyhow, so far, I haven't needed to use chips, but I know that some groups did use them when they were playing with AW:Dark Age's similar system. Feel free!

-Vincent