One NPC in two threats?

• 3 Replies

Amora

One NPC in two threats?
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
So, I was curious about this- I've recently started GMing a game of Apocalypse World for my family, and we've just cleared the first session. I'm at the point now where I'm making all the NPCs who were introduced into threats- only there's a bit of an issue!

A brother and sister, Spoon and Fork. They're part of a cult. But, thing is, they're also in another group of brutes- I don't think that it was ever addressed (at least as far as I've seen, if it's in the book and I missed it then sorry for this, of course!) but what should I do in this situation? Can they be in more than one threat at the same time, or should I just pick to stick them in one and not the other?

I think the way I would naturally do it is just to go, "okay, yeah, they're in both threats. Maybe even in different fronts, if it applies. That just means they've got some conflict of interest, if they've got to choose between one or the other- cool." But I'm not sure if that would work mechanically speaking, so I figured I'd get a second opinion from people who've been doing this longer than I have.

lumpley

Re: One NPC in two threats?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
I predict that it'll be just fine to have them in both. Tell us how it goes?

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »

Yes, I do this all the time. Often the characters/objects/maelstrom-projection/things act as different threat types in different fronts, which can both add an interesting dimension to the characters but also help you figure out which Front is more or less involved in some particular actions that involve them.

Amora

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
Hey, thanks for the responses! This makes my MCing a lot easier, then, when trying to figure out who should be where. We should be able to play again within the next few days! So that'll be fun.