Someone Getting a Hold

• 17 Replies
Re: Someone Getting a Hold
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »
Okay yeah I really like the idea of that custom move a lot Vincent, I never considered making a move that can't fully succeed also I like what Ebok said of giving the OP a obligation gig for the hold because that does play into the class which I think is a good "intermittent reward" so that is the route I am gonna take. 

noclue

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:16 PM »
Things are sources of weakness not strength.

This does not seem to follow, and sticking it between two axiomatically true statements doesn't somehow make it true. There are lots of things in AW that are a source of strength. Guns, for example. Cars. Food. Fresh water. Violation gloves. Workshops. I mean, barter is just 'things that give you power' in an abstract form.

No doubt there are many things that, along with being useful, also have drawbacks, but this is a far cry from claiming that AW has some sort of weird anti-materialist angle on the usefulness of objects.

Well, sure, I'm taking a little poetic license. I probably should have said trouble or instability rather than weakness. Things are useful, of course. If you want to rely on that stuff you've found, go right ahead ;)

"It's one of the game's slogans: “there are no status quos in Apocalypse World.” You can let the players think that some arrangement or institution is reliable, if they're that foolish, but for you yourself: everything you own is, first, always and overwhelmingly, a target, Page 112."

"You should treat the characters' getting new gear and other stuff the same way you treat everything they do. That is, make Apocalypse World seem real and make the characters' lives not boring; address yourself to the character, not the player; make your move but misdirect and never speak its name; say what the principles, the rules and your prep demand, Page 236."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:33:27 PM by noclue »
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

noclue

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
Well I don't know if this would help reason things out a bit but he basically stole the hold from someone by holding her at gunpoint and revealing the bad things she was planning on doing while in control. There are of course gonna be people who doubt him or still trust the old leader and the way he took over might make people wary. So with all those things together I don't think I can just give him control super easily.

Remember, being a fan isn't about giving anyone easy anything. "The way to make a character's success interesting is to make it consequential. When a character accomplishes something, have all of your NPCs respond. Reevaluate all those PC–NPC–PC triangles you've been creating. Whose needs change? Whose opinions change? Who was an enemy, but now is afraid; who was an enemy, but now sees better opportunities as an ally? Let the characters' successes make waves outward, let them topple the already unstable situation (Page 114)."
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER