Beyond latest version and going to Steampunk!

• 6 Replies
Beyond latest version and going to Steampunk!
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »
Beyond (previously Adventures in Hazardous Space) is going to Steampunk!

Hi, here's the latest version (A1.71) of Beyond: Adventures in Hazardous Space (vA1.71)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRDxotrnPmTT2dHRU9LT3dfeEk/view?usp=sharing
Everything has had work! Key changes are:
- new, more comprehensive setting creation
- new group and character story rules
- changes to Basic moves and several new Universal moves
- new 'assistant' mechanics
- 4 new classes, 1 new race, changes to all the existing classes and races
- lots of clarification and playtesting tweaks

There's some work on using ships and bases, more classes in he wings, however the biggest thing that's coming is Beyond is taking a sideways step into Steampunk!

My long term plan for Beyond had been to do sci-fi first then expand it into steampunk (I love both genres and the rules are designed with that in mind).  However with relatively empty sci-fi PbtA space suddenly filling with great games like The Sprawl and Uncharted Space, rather than thread on their toes, I've decided to flip things around and focus on steampunk. 

What you have here, therefore, is possibly the last sci-fi version of Beyond for a while (though I may roll out the ship/base rules and sci-fi versions of new classes just for the benefit of anyone who's using these rules).

As for Steampunking this, apart from needing a more steampunk name,  there's a bunch of flavor to change and social mechanics to add, new classes, revised races, etc.  (No, I won't just be putting gears on it!)

I would still love any feedback you may have on the sci-fi version.
And, if you're interested in joining the Steampunk journey I'd love to hear from you.

- Michael D

Re: Beyond latest version and going to Steampunk!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:19:28 AM »
I downloaded your PDF and am reading it. I like your "How It Works" section (page 7). It lays out the basics in a brief and easy to understand way I think. That is always an achievement for role-playing games I think. :)

Pages 8-18 are also easy to follow, though for my impatient mind that seems a lot of "homework" to go through before play (10 pages). I understand that is not abnormal for the type of game it is, but my RPG background is with games that put most of the work on the GM and the player just has to create a character and show up. As a GM, I love sharing the workload. As a player, I'd rather dodge it. Nowadays, though, I'm mostly a GM and rarely a player.

I like the attribute names (Geek, Handy, Sharp, and Vibe).

Pages 21-22 (Using Moves) is nicely done. Clear and straightforward. Page 24 is also well done (Suffer Harm).

I didn't read as closely when I got to your classes as I was more interested in how you handled the basic mechanics (up to page 28 I believe). But they seem complete at a shallow glance. You cover the basic science fiction tropes. The races too seem complete. The only thing missing is an empathic race but you have a class that covers that option.

The way to scale up starships when they interact with smaller vehicles is a good solution to differences between them without over-complicating the game mechanics.

Your GM principles are excellent (pages 97-99). I wish I could plagiarize them (but I won't unless granted permission -- oh, please, please). Kudos. The breaking up of GM moves into different types (story, action and "when things slow down") is helpful too. That was a good choice to do that.

In conclusion, you have done an impressive job with your RPG. I like it. I am glad I got this version before it went Steampunk, but I also am looking forward to seeing your Steampunk version. Please keep me posted.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:29:53 AM by Wambly »

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »
Man, I loved the stuff you were doing with Beyond, and am transporting some of your XP ideas into the DW games I run.  I love how you can spend level ups on items.  So I look forward to ideas you have on steampunk as well, as that sounds really interesting!

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:32:36 AM »
@Wambly,
Glad you like it :-) 

I'll look how to change the layout to get the player into the action faster.

Regarding the GM principles - the standard is awesomely high here, so I'm honoured you think they have something to add.  At present the content is licensed for non-commercial sharing, without derivatives (i.e. you can't build a new product from it).  However, I'm happy for the GM principles to be used outside of the steampunk and sci-fi spaces I'm currently working on, provided the use includes clear attribution and links to Beyond and Steampunk World (just opened the Steampunk World community at https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108439627279414945168 )
If that works for you, let me know.

@Kdtompos
Also glad you like it.
To resolve a misunderstanding: Beyond has not been abandoned, it's just simmering quietly on the back burner while I focus on Steampunk World.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:34:45 AM »
Just opened the Steampunk World community at https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108439627279414945168

Still getting the draft of Steampunk World into a credible shape for critique and playtesting - will get that out as soon as I can.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:08:17 AM »
However, I'm happy for the GM principles to be used outside of the steampunk and sci-fi spaces I'm currently working on, provided the use includes clear attribution and links to Beyond and Steampunk World (just opened the Steampunk World community at https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108439627279414945168 )
If that works for you, let me know.

That would be fine with me if the link can be included on a credits page at the start of my hack (if I quote you). An appropriate attribution would be with any excerpt used.

Time will tell if I ever finish my hack of course and what the final version will look like. :)

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:00:32 AM »
Hi Wambly,

No problem, that will fine.  PM me if you want the Word text.

Michael D