Playbook Expansion: Messenger of the gods

• 3 Replies
Playbook Expansion: Messenger of the gods
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
I put together a universal playbook expansion for my game: the Climbers. I don't think anything is too original about it but I'm curious what others think about it.

Messenger of the gods

When you accept the role of Messenger gain the following:

Servant of the Gods: when you ask the gods for advice roll +weird. On a hit they will demand a sacrifice and give you advice. If you act on that advice gain +1ongoing. On a 10+ mark experience if you commit the sacrifice. On a 7-9, act under fire if you don't commit the sacrifice. On a miss, the gods give cryptic advice. Act under fire if you don't follow it.

Occasionally the gods will request a sacrifice without you asking for advice. If you do it, mark experience.

Additionally you may choose the following moves as additional moves from your current playbook or another playbook:

Legendary: when you meet someone important (your call), roll+weird. On a hit, they somehow know about you. A feeling, a vision, or other manifestation of the psychic maelstrom has proceeded you. You say what they know; the MC will have them respond accordingly. On a 10+, you take +1forward for dealing with them as well. On a miss, they know of you, but the MC will decide what the gods have told them (and how they have interpreted that).

The Revelation: When you have a crowd's attention, choose a truth that you want to convey to them. Roll +weird. On a hit, they accept it and go do something about it, right now. On a 7-9, the truth only occurs to some people, and some people come away with a lie.

Cultural Uplift: When you wish to return a form of culture or art to the world and you have established a place of influence in a community, you can consult the psychic maelstrom. You can work on the community the way a saavyhead works on tech (+workspace).

The gods may bestow other boons as appropriate to their Front and/or Threat. These do not count as moves for the purposes of advancement.

Attention any players of mine: SPOILERS!!

In my game, the gods are the disembodied minds of victims of a fungal disease called the Climbers. They feed off psychic energy and blood. Hence the need for sacrifices. They can shield people exposed to the climbers rendering them immune. They also possess most of the lore from before the apocalypse (since most of them lived back then). Their goal is to rebuild society such that it will feed them power and blood (and thus become 'true' gods). The Messenger's role is to bring about this society.

Re: Playbook Expansion: Messenger of the gods
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »

Cool. The use of 'messenger' was a bit confusing to me, since in traditional western mythology that immediate brings to mind Hermes, who had a very specific set of responsibilities/abilities relating to being an actual messenger -- i.e. a person who ran from place to place delivering messages for other people. Hermes was the messenger of the Gods but he did not necessarily share their agendas; that was just his duty. So using it for what appears to be a true believer was a bit off-kilter for me, particularly since none of the moves involve transportation or movement.

But that association may not be present for you & your group in which case, shrug. If I were adapting this I would just change the noun to Herald or Mouthpiece or something similar.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
I can see that. I hadn't thought to much of the name at the time. "Messenger' was a term that I improvised during the game when the gods first contacted one of the PCs.

I was trying to distance myself from Abrahamic religions (where the right term would be "prophet" or even "messiah") which is the feel I am shooting for (with a mix of "Chariots of the Gods?" style uplift).

As an aside the current Messenger isn't really a true believer as much as seeking power for herself/gaining the confidence of the gods. I'm curious to see how this plays out. The gods demand blood and she seems willing to give them it.

Lukas

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »
If we go Abrahamitic, "messenger" is just another word for "angel".