Are my moves /too/ broad?

• 0 Replies
Are my moves /too/ broad?
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
So I'm working on a hack for my friends that centers on dynastic and family conflicts in historic settings. The inspirations are things like the End of the Roman Repubic, Song of Fire and Ice, Three Kingdoms period China, Sengoku Jidai, the Diadochi of Alexander the Great, Rise of the Peisistratid Tyranny in Athens,  etc. I've only MCd a couple sessions of AW and one of DW so I don't have a lot of practical experience with PbtA systems, but I want to make a hack that is going to coax my playgroup closer to PbtA style games.

I have a couple of basic moves that can be rolled with any stat - ala Defy Danger from DW, or the three basic moves in Uncharted Worlds.

The first is: When you enter into a contest for the reputation of your house... It has the conditions: [strong hit] You are the undisputed victor. [weak hit] The results are mixed or both sides could claim victory in some way. [miss] You have suffered a clear defeat.
I was thinking about this move to cover a formal duel, an athletics tournament, a chess game, a debate, a trade deal - any kind of limited conflict where both participants will be adhering to certain rules, where win conditions are fairly clear.

The second is When you endure hardship... It has the conditions: [strong hit] You endure. [weak hit] You suffer some kind of messy complication or difficult decision.
This one was an act under fire equivalent.

I'm looking for the reactions and 'feel' of people with more play experience - are these moves too broad? Or do they overlap too much? I can't tell how clear it would be when to use one and when the other, or if in most situations either would be appropriate. Is the 'feel' different enough?