Beyond: Adventures in Hazardous Space

• 19 Replies
Re: Beyond: Adventures in Hazardous Space
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »
I love how you have given the option of attaching moves to natural abilities, implants or possessions!  There are several brilliant implications in this that excite me:
  • This helps deal with the common concern in DW that characters level really quickly.  If they are spending experience to make good use of their items, then that gives more places to deposit that accumulated xp other than straight level gains.
  • This balances out things a bit if someone strives to be "the one with all the cool stuff".  They'll spend xp on it, instead of class gains.
  • It also adds wonderful flavor to even class skills, as you get to define specific possessions that may grant that ability, rather than assuming it's just who you are

Really, such a fantastic idea.  But part of it confuses me: what mechanically would be the draw of designating something as an implant?  I understand the flavor appeal, but I feel like mechanically it would be inferior where the other two options offer enticing trade-offs.
  • Designating a move as [P]Possession based adds the benefit of temporarily allowing another access to that move ("Here, take this.  It might help you, but I'll need it back!").  The drawback is that you place that move in a more compromised position, as you may lose access to it temporarily if your stuff is taken or that object is lost/damaged.
  • Designating a moves as [N]Natural forgoes the benefit above, as only you can ever use that move, even temporarily.  But you can almost always assume access to it.  It's reliably available.
  • Designating a move as Implant however, seems like it might be intended as a compromise between the two, but I'm not fully grasping how.  Perhaps it's something that others could have access to later if the original NPC dies or passes it on (providing they pay xp to use it), but also runs a slight chance of getting lost or malfunctioning?  Am I close to the intention here, or is there an obvious aspect that I'm overlooking?

As it is, there seems to be a strong draw to [P]Possession or [N]Natural, but implant seems a weak option.  Which is unfortunate, as the flavor of it is pretty cool.  But you're going to find that if the game mechanics push more powerfully toward certain options, then flavor will often take a back seat.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 07:20:10 AM »
Great question, kdtompos.
(Sorry to take so long to get back on this - wasn't getting notified of replies, but hopefully that's sorted now.)

In the upcoming version (out in the next few days), instead of an injury reducing one of your Attributes, you can choose that it knocks out an (I)mplant instead (provided it fits the fiction, of course).  There are advantages to putting that extra hardware in your body after all. :-)
- (P)ossession (moves) can be loaned to others; can be disabled or lost
- (I)mplants can be 'injured' instead of you; can be disabled but not lost
- (N)Natural moves cannot be disabled or lost?

Wow, just realised the last version released here was A1.33.
Just knocking the final edges off A1.60 atm. Major improvements to setting creation; character personal story added (replaces the earlier shadows place holder); all classes and races have had work, and most if not all moves; new Soldier class; new Plant race; Harm track reworked; lots of playtesting tweaks.

p.s. Great to see that Sean Gomes has got his Uncharted Worlds out on Kickstarter.  If you haven't already, check it out/support it at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/278368114/uncharted-worlds-a-space-opera-roleplaying-game

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:25 AM »
Still a couple of days away from releasing the next draft - hopefully Thursday (if not will have to wait till next week).
Will probably put it up in a new thread as can't edit my first post in this one.

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:30 AM »
I'm holding off release of the next draft of Beyond until 21 March.  This is because Sean Gomes is running a Kickstarter for his Uncharted Worlds hack and I don't want to risk drawing any attention away from that while it's running.

If you haven't seen Sean's Kickstarter, check it out at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/278368114/uncharted-worlds-a-space-opera-roleplaying-game.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:47:24 AM by Zenguy »

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
That makes a lot of sense!  I was sure there must be something compelling to the implant decision.  I'm excited to see the changes and will wait eagerly for the 21st.  (And yes, I'm already backing Uncharted.  Very interested in the wonderful work Sean Gomes is doing there!)