Outfit, Harm, Armor for War Companies

• 6 Replies
Outfit, Harm, Armor for War Companies
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »
I notice that a war company can consist of multiple peoples, each with potentially a different outfit (specific armor and weapons, maybe steeds), harm, and armor. Each people's war is also different; you settle it by taking a modal average of the War of each soul in the company. I recommend the same for harm and for armor, each reckoned separately, not in combination.

As for special options resulting from outfit, be they for archers, for cavalry, or for a shield wall (infantry with round or larger shields), I would recommend allowing a war company to use a set of special options if, and only if, more than half of the souls in that war company qualify for that set. The same for special circumstances, such as fighting mounted: more than half of the war company must qualify.

Charles

lumpley

Re: Outfit, Harm, Armor for War Companies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
Good catch!

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:52:22 AM »
So, regarding the words on the War Comapny sheet that read "Use your company’s majority or largest fraction War."
Seems like a lot of fiddley bits just to get a +1 difference in rolls, and it also seems like most rolls will end up being +1.

Let's say I've got 20 guys with War +2 (Romans) and 10 guys with War +0 (Canadians), would that mean their War is +1 (1.3 rounded down)?
and what if the War-Captain, or whoever, wants the Canadians to die first by putting them on the front lines, does that make their War go up when they're counting their dead and realize that they're down to 19 Romans (war +2)?
and what if they're down to 19 Romans and 2 Canadians, the fraction is 1.8 so does that get rounded to the nearest (+2) or down (+1)?

I'm not sure what "largest fraction War" means so I'm making up an average calculation to get the numbers I think that phrase means.
Looking for a playbook? Check out my page!
http://nerdwerds.blogspot.com/2012/12/all-of-playbooks.html

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:34 AM »
Well, I haven't got the War Company sheet in front of me right now, but isn't it possible that there's a typo and what Vincent meant was "the largest faction War"? In the example you gave, your 30 man company would have War +2 (their largest faction are the romans, with War +2). Later on, if 15 romans died or disbanded or whatever, the company's war would be +0, as their largest faction would be canadians.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:43:07 AM »
Well, I haven't got the War Company sheet in front of me right now, but isn't it possible that there's a typo and what Vincent meant was "the largest faction War"? In the example you gave, your 30 man company would have War +2 (their largest faction are the romans, with War +2). Later on, if 15 romans died or disbanded or whatever, the company's war would be +0, as their largest faction would be canadians.

I work as an accountant so when I see the word "fraction" I automatically start thinking math, not typo, but that makes more sense.

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:15 AM »
If your war company consists of 15 with War+2, 10 with War 0, and 10 with War-1, your company has War+2, because that's what its largest fraction has.

You can suppose that when the various cohorts go together into the field, the values of the majority or the largest fraction rub off on the rest.

Largest fraction, not largest faction, because those 15 warriors with War+2 might very well represent 5 warriors each from 3 different warrior clans. Nevertheless, +2 outnumbers both 0 and +1, so +2 it is!

-Vincent
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:44:30 AM by lumpley »

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 05:00:53 AM »
Largest fraction, not largest faction, because those 15 warriors with War+2 might very well represent 5 warriors each from 3 different warrior clans. Nevertheless, +2 outnumbers both 0 and +1, so +2 it is!

-Vincent

Thanks for the clarification!