On the barter rule...

• 4 Replies

Zen

On the barter rule...
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
Hey!

I'm going to start my first AW campaign Sunday night, and I have a question that has been nagging at me.  What do people do with the Give 1 Barter = 10+ success at Manipulate rule?

I've read over the last month or so, I think, every single comment thread in this area and I still don't feel comfortable with this one rule.  I don't have much of a problem with PvP use, because the player can always refuse, but using it on NPCs just doesn't seem right.  For example, and to amp up the situation described in another thread, "Hey Keeler, I know you love your mother more than your own life, but here's one barter -- punch your mother in the face, and then stick this BBQ fork through her ear so it comes out the other side."

What do y'all think if I rule that 1 (or more) Barter must still be enough leverage to be tempting to the target based on what is requested?  Is that what everyone else does, or is there another way to do it that doesn't break the fiction?

As If

Re: On the barter rule...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
I don't see a problem.  Rule Quoting:
1. (seduce/manip) "For NPCs: on a hit, they ask you to promise something first, and do it if you promise. "

but note:
2. (barter) "By default, characters have access to the barter moves, but you can limit or ignore them if you think they might not suit your Apocalypse World."
and
3. (barter) "When it’s obvious whether the character can just go buy the thing, it might be obvious that she can, or obvious that she can’t."

So by the RAW, (2) the MC can limit or ignore the barter move completely, and even if they use it (3) stabbing your mother in the head just may be something that obviously cannot be bought at any price.  And even if they actually permit it, (1) the PC still has to make a promise, and promises can be troublesome to make or break.  More fiction.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:51:26 PM by As If »

noclue

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
For example, and to amp up the situation described in another thread, "Hey Keeler, I know you love your mother more than your own life, but here's one barter -- punch your mother in the face, and then stick this BBQ fork through her ear so it comes out the other side."
Just punch that player in the eye and move on. He'll stop.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Zen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
Okay, thanks to you both.  I'm committed to playing the RAW for the first campaign, and this was the only rule that troubled me, although I did notice that it was optional. 

I'm still on the fence about it, since on the one hand it seems like offering one Barter is enough scratch to make most people do most things, and so isn't even a manipulate move, and on the other hand if it is really a question whether one Barter is quite enough, then it does require a manipulate move and isn't automatic.  In other words, it just depends on the fiction.

First game is tonight.  I'm so nervous!

As If

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
You'll do fine.  It's a questioning mind that runs a good game!

Basically, 1 barter is about a month's survival.  If someone offered you a whole month's rent, food and utilities, in a world where such things are not easily assumed or replaced, you could see just how tempting that might be.  But then again, you probably wouldn't stab your mother in the head for it. :-)