Questions about Conditions

• 4 Replies
Questions about Conditions
« on: May 30, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
So I've got a couple questions about Conditions. I didn't see this specified in the rules.

1) Can you take advantage of more than one Condition at a time?

2) Can you take advantage of the same Condition in the same scene?

I've been operating on the assumption that the answer to both questions is no.

Re: Questions about Conditions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:47:21 AM »
I don't see any hard answers in the book. My gut feeling would be, only take advantage of one Condition at a time, but if the fiction supports taking advantage of the Condition repeatedly in a single scene, why not?

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
One condition at a time otherwise the game breaks as people are always rolling at +5.  Been there, done that.  Same condition more than once, why not?

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
Thanks Borogrove and neonchameleon, that's my thinking too-- one Condition at a time but if you can justify it in the fiction, then a player should be able to "tap" it multiple times.

I've also seen Conditions used to subtract from rolls either before or after the roll, but that varies. What do you all think?

Scrape

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
A condition sticks around until it's alleviated, so someone could possibly tap it more than once. Unless, of course, tapping it would get rid of it, which can happen. Consider: Alicia is Ostracized right now. Daniel tries to persuade her to help him out. Now, everyone knows that Daniel is the coolest, so he's like "Hey Alicia, why don't you tag along here?" The player wants to use Ostracized against her- obviously she'll jump at the chance to be seen with super cool Daniel, right? So sure, he gets to use it, but once everyone sees her with Daniel, well omigod wtf she's part of the cool kids now?! And Ostracized maybe goes away and no one else gets to use it again.

My personal instinct would be "no stacking Conditions" 'cause a +5 or whatever is crazy. But then again, maybe it makes sense sometimes? Like someone has been kicked so hard they'll do anything to stand up again. They don't stand a chance.