New GM looking for some advice

• 3 Replies
New GM looking for some advice
« on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:07 AM »
Hi, I'm pretty new to tabletop RPG's and I am about to DM for a group of friends wanting to try one out. I have read the manual and the guide and have been watching a lot of videos on youtube about how to run sessions and I am pretty excited to show off dungeon world. I just had a few questions when reading through the manual, I was wondering does a player get 1xp from a roll of 6 or less? I couldn't find an exact number in the manual or the guide. I was also wondering if there was some sort of guide on loot in dungeons, I'm not sure how much to give the players. I want to give enough so they feel excited but not so much that it breaks the game. Also if you have any tips for running a game smoothly that would also be appreciated!
Cheers,
          Tom

Re: New GM looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
Yeah, it's 1 XP for each 6-, plus the end-of-session XP for bonds, alignment fulfillments, and session accomplishments as outlined on page 78. It's 8 XP for the first level-up.

There's a monster treasure table on page 228 that might give you some sort of guideline; according to that table, little monsters might have 10s of coin worth of treasure, moderately large ones 100s of coin. Take a look at the equipment lists starting on page 326 and think about how soon you want the players to be able to afford mansions or castles.

Keep in mind that it's always better to start the campaign giving out too little gold than too much; you can always turn up the drop rates later, but it's hard to go back. ;)

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
For gold, oh, however much you want. It doesn't much matter, except if the PCs can cover their basic operating expenses (and even then it's sometimes okay).

For non-gold non-magical items, again however much you want, but bear in mind A) your player's tolerance for book-keeping and B) your player's tolerance for dealing with weight issues.

For magical items, it's 100% a case-by-case basis and I can't really say! I always give way too many.

- Alex

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
Ok great, thanks to both of you for clearing that up for me!