Runaway Weird

• 8 Replies
Runaway Weird
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:44:28 AM »
The Hocus in my game has her Weird up to 3 and is using moves so that she primarily uses her Weird at all times.  She has Charismatic so that she reads with Weird, Augury, Opens her Brain and now has Healing Touch from the Angel playbook.  So far she's gotten about twice as much experience as everyone else.  Her roleplay has been great, I'm just a bit worried about the other players getting jealous of her progress.  It seems like every scene she can at least Open her Brain and with a violent world there are a lot of wounds out there to heal with Healing Touch.  Perhaps I wouldn't be worrying about it so much if she wasn't getting a 10+ on every weird roll.

I'm not planning on Highlighting her Weird for awhile, but the other players might.  Any advice or should I just ignore it and keep rooting for everyone to be awesome and interesting?

As If

Re: Runaway Weird
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:33:47 AM »
Sounds to me like she's moving toward a Front that approaches via the Maelstrom. :-)

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:15 AM »
If it's not boring, it's fine. Your job is to make the character's life not boring, not to limit or worry about the character's advancement.

If it IS boring, what I recommend is, take a few minutes to yourself to think about where the character is now, and start to wonder to yourself where the character's heading. It's your job to figure out what you're interested in about the character now, and play to find out what happens with that.

(It has to be something that you personally honestly think is interesting, not something you guess the other players will find interesting. When the game says to make their lives not boring, it means not boring to YOU.)

-Vincent

Munin

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »
As for "where to go with her story", one of the things that leaps immediately to mind for me is her relationship with her cult.  Those are people, so maybe take some time to explore that aspect of things.  Throw in some drama between cult members, or between the cult and the rest of society, or have someone from the cult challenge her authority.  She'll still be reading people with her Weird through her charismatic move, but getting them to do what she wants is probably going to involve her Hot.  Or her Hard.

T.G.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
Sounds to me like she's moving toward a Front that approaches via the Maelstrom. :-)
I like the sound of this.  The character might be using everything weird as their personal play ground, but perhaps those around their character are not so well equipped to deal.  If things get too weird there could be massive fallout or a trickle of consequences.  If the other players are really that worried about feeding the hocus xp, they are not likely to highlight weird either I would guess.

Charismatic move substitutes hot with weird for manipulate?  Am I missing something concerning reading with weird?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
If you're tired of seeing the Hocus be weird, don't highlight her weird. If the other players are tired of it too, they won't either. Then, the Hocus either has to branch out her skills, or stop advancing.

Munin

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
Charismatic move substitutes hot with weird for manipulate?  Am I missing something concerning reading with weird?
Yeah, sorry, that was my bad.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  She's certainly interesting to me, much of my conflict so far revolves around her and her cult and their dealings with the PC Hardholder.  The Hardholder is nervous as she faces threats from the outside, problems on the inside and the frictions caused by the cult.  I have plans (Front) for how the established religion will react to her recent portrayal of Healing Touch as a miracle.  I will play to find out.  I've been nervous with my first time MCing AW and my first time running any game in a long time.

If the Hocus doesn't have the follower option that gives +growth, but is doing a good job at being charismatic, how would you handle the possibility of acquiring new followers?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:59:31 AM by Serenity »

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:07 AM »
If the Hocus doesn't have the follower option that gives +growth, but is doing a good job at being charismatic, how would you handle the possibility of acquiring new followers?
If they manage to convince someone or some group of people to join the cult, then they join the cult. But they don't get new converts automatically just for succeeding on their Fortunes roll.