First Thoughts: Fates

• 11 Replies
First Thoughts: Fates
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
Love the Fates as a damage track. Really awesome stuff. Not entirely sure how Player Fates tie to the fiction, but I could probably make a guess. Probably need a term for Player Fates so people can refer to them separately from other kinds of Fates.

Group Fates seem weak. My gut says that group dissolution should be an option here. Groups fall apart and rout before they all die.

lumpley

Re: First Thoughts: Fates
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
Thanks, Adam! I think I've got you covered. The next few paragraphs say:

A group trained to fight, with a leader to rally them, will hold together when many are injured and a few have been killed. A strong leader, beloved or feared, can hold them together even when
many have been killed.

A group without training or discipline will hold together when many are injured and a few have been killed only if it is desperate, but even so, when injuries are widespread and several have been killed, it will break.

A peaceable group will scatter with the first injuries, and certainly with the first deaths.

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
Yep, that does it.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »
The character fates are amazing. I actually felt my brain wrinkle. They were good enough on first read that I had to come over here and create an account and post right away. More when I compose myself.

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
:D

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »
I feel like I should say something more helpful than what has been said already, but all I have to say so far is that the Fates are indeed awesome. I think they are the best damage system I've seen. You must allow that they are only 10 minutes old in my head though.

I love the bit about living to see another sun rise and then crossing it off after you do. Feels like it will be very evocative in play. The monster is really good as well.

One question though, Why not phrase the non-player characters as first person? The monster seems like it should be, "I still survive, somehow."

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Because the game is about the PCs, I think! That's why! Its more important that when you lock eyes with the MC, she can tell you of the monster: "It will survive, somehow."

That was my gut reaction to reading it, anyway.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
I feel like i don't understand the fates yet. Need to reread it again and apply an example to that i think.
The general idea however is way more evocative then the clock.

jacob

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
Any chance we'll see custom fates, or will fates remain universal? Curious if different playbooks will end up with their own fates (either at start or through advancement).

Would love to see negative fates (not sure how they would work!):
I Will Die By My Father's Hand.
I Will Live To See All My Good Works Undone.

lumpley

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
There's not much chance, no.

One of the playbooks I'm working on has a move that can change an NPC's fate lines. Other future playbooks might get moves that change their own, but so far none do.

-Vincent

jacob

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Thanks!

I figured not, too many other things seem to tie into Fates to make them very mutable.

Scrape

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:49:09 PM »
It's a pretty excellent area for hacking, though. Playbook-specific Fates would be cool. It's an area to stick abilities with a built-in cost. Y'know, like, "Death is clear to me, but so is life." (I dunno, take a +1forward to Read moves, but you had to take 3 harm to get there). It's got a lot of play room.