Using DW for PVP

• 6 Replies
Using DW for PVP
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
Greetings folks,
Who out there has experience with players fighting in DW? What was it like? Good/bad? Fun/broken? The game isn't made for such a thing, I'm wondering if it has any ability to handle it?

Re: Using DW for PVP
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »
I have never played in a game where PCs were really out to kill each other, trading blows back & forth, or waging a multi-session campaign against each other.

I have engaged in a little bit of serious character conflict, however, though it never turned violent. The climactic session in the last campaign I played featured a cleric of the Broken God (Domain of the maimed, deformed, disfigured, diseased, deranged) who claimed the mantle of the Broken God after freeing him from his bondage. I, playing as wizard of the good persuasion, attempted to prevent this particular vacancy in the pantheon from being filled. I fictionally wasn't positioned to do anything about it apart from casting a spell, though, so I had to succeed on my Perfect Summons but I failed the roll. Once the cleric had achieved Godhood, I did not have any moves left to me but Ritual, which I triggered. GM ruled I needed the tears of the God of Healing to fix my deranged cleric-cum-god friend, so I Perfect Summons-ed the God of Healing to beseech him for his tears. Ultimately, the GM ruled the God of Healing wasn't going to accede to my request so I had my wizard dedicate himself to the service of the God of Healing to thwart the effect of the new Broken God on the world, and chose the new class of cleric.

We, of course, retired those characters at that point.

All this is to say the GM principle "Be a fan of the characters" can be tricky to fulfill when the characters are pulling the GM in different directions. I myself would hope never to GM a true arena-style PVP session.

noclue

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
Why didn't the GM give you the tears? Was a roll involved?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:56 PM »
Good question! My memory is no roll was involved, but it was several months ago. I will ask the GM, but I guess the answer is he was trying to thread the needle between the cleric's desire to ascend to Godhood, remaking the world in his disfigured form, and my wizard's desire to heal reality. With the addition of the God of Healing to our pantheon (because the God of Healing had been the previous Broken God) and my wizard swearing himself to the God of Healing's service, the scales were balanced. Both PCs' visions of the future were achievable.

The primary downside of that ruling was I was surprisingly bummed to end the campaign, because of course I wanted to save the world outright. :) Maybe sometime we will run a one-off, in-media-res epilogue session where I can play my wizard's new class a bit.

noclue

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
Hmm...interesting GM choices. Seems like a great moment for the Parley move to me.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:15 AM »
Parley doesn't work between PCs though

noclue

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
The God of Healing was a PC?
James R.

--HERBERT SPENCER