Settings

• 5 Replies

Chris

Settings
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
More than hacks, I'd really like to see other people's settings set out in some sort of formal way, complete with the custom moves that they're using.

I think the post-apocalyptic genre is big enough to encompass so many different things that dispite me playing three different campaigns of the game in three different settings, I haven't seen much of what the genre has to offer.

I put this in hacks because I'm interested especially in the custom moves that are setting specific.

Anyone got any? I'll put mine out later today, if I remember.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

Chris

Re: Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
One I'm still playing with before I run it.

Dust

Overview
The world is gone, of course it is. We all of us live in tent cities. These vasts compounds of interconnected heavy canvas communities are sealed with animal fat and tree resin. They have to be, to stay out of the open. To stay out of the dust. Everything is toxic: the air, the water, the soil, the animals, the people. The people most of all. So we huddle. We protect ourselves. We wear masks in all but the most intimate of settings. We eat what we can grow in caves with water we run through our filtration systems. We live on the knife's edge.

Seals
When you're out in the dust, your ass better be behind a seal. A lot of shit can have a seal: vechicles, tents, sealsuits, etc.

All characters get this one:

Sealed Off

Seals are any piece of equipment that protects you from the dust. Seals can be applied to a lot of shit. Your sealsuit is something you're almost born into. It's just what it says it is: a sealed suit that protects the user from dust, specifically airborne dust. It includes a gasmask and heavy, head-to-toe canvas usually sealed with some sort of animal fat. You can also seal off vehicles or tents, whether that tent is just a one man fly or it's a sprawling hold.

When you need it, declare what you've already sealed and spend your seal; you can spend 0–3 of seal per use. You can resupply it for 2-barter per 1-seal, if your circumstances let you barter for those kind of supplies, i.e. rubber hoses, prepped canvas or leather, sheet plastic, animal fats, rubber cement mixed with bubblegum, whatever. You begin play holding 3-stock.

If you take in the dust out here, whether through water, air, whatever, roll+hard.
•   On a 10+, spend a few minutes barfing but you’ll be fine.
•   On a 7–9, take 1-harm (ap) now and 1-harm (ap) again in a little while.
•   On a miss, take 3-harm (ap) now and 3-harm (ap) again in a little while.

When your seal is in question, like maybe you got shot at or the weather's like ass, roll+seal.
•   On a 10+, you’re sealed up and doing fine for now.
•   On a 7–9, you've got a problem with your seal, a leak or a crack, something. Take -1 seal.
•   On a miss, your seal is blown. You're taking in dust.

After you go into battle with your vehicles, guns, and gear, roll+sharp.
•   On a 10+, you conserved your resources. Good job.
•   On a 7–9, choose 1:
      • You’re running dangerously low on fuel
      • You’re running dangerously low on ammo
      • Your gear needs maintenance and repair. You take -1 seal.
•   On a miss, the MC makes a hard move as usual (or says it’s all three, or says you’re flat out of one thing).

When you scavenge in the ruins, roll+sharp.
On a 10+, choose two and find an oddment worth 1-barter. On a
7–9, choose one and find an oddment worth 1-barter:
• You find it quickly.
• You find it with relatively little trouble.
• You find an item that is valuable.
• You find an item that can be used for a seal. +1 seal.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

Chris

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »
A game I'm in now, where the MC and players had just started watching the Walking Dead show. It got slowly mutated until we were basically playing Dead Weight, sans parkour.

The Isle of Man

Overview
We're trapped, of course we are. Not just on our small little isle. No, we have lost the very ground beneath our feet. The street, they belong to the walkers. To who we used to be. The West? There is nothing. It is Empty. The East? The East is Empire and we are not welcome. But the roofs? The roofs are our home.

When the loud tag is used, a zombie gang increases by 1 size.

Zombie gangs can be one or just a few, small, medium, large, or swarm.

Zombies do 1 z-harm and 1-harm. The rules for gang size differences still apply and still increase both harm amounts by 1.

When you take z-harm, roll+z-harm taken.
On a 10, scrawl a big "I" on your playbook. You're infected.
On a 7-9, convert z-harm to normal harm.

Every session you're infected, roll+hard.
On a 10, you're carrying, but you're good for now.
On a 7-9, you're showing signs, if anyone's looking, but you're not a walker yet.
On a miss, you sure are hungry. Start with your playbook.

I think there's some more. I wrote them, but I'm not the MC and he's got the list.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:33:47 PM by Chris »

Chris

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »
Inspiration for the Dust setting.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »
(These are really cool, but I haven't done anything comparable to share)

Chris

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
Who Will Survive And What Will Be Left Of Them

Dear _________,

You live in a small town, of course you do. The town’s been here... well, so it is and so it always has been, you know? If you’re the hardholder, then feel free to name your town. If not, don’t worry about it right now. Also, don’t worry about the rest of the world. If you’re looking at me with a “what rest of the world” look on your face, you’re on the right track. Go ahead and create your character like normal; do your name, look, moves, all that, right on through introductions and Hx.

Then help me do the first session. My set-up takes a little longer than yours and it’s more involved. Do me a solid and let me have the rest of the night to detail everything out. I’m gonna follow your character around, get a feel for their life, their little struggles, that whole deal. Help me name everyone, make everyone human. I’ll name most of your neighbors; make sure you leap forward with names and details about anyone under your purview. You gotta crew? Tell me why you hired them; what skills did they show and for what? You gotta gang? What’s their deal? Jump out and tell me.

You know the other PCs, of course you do. It’s the nature of small towns. You know the other townspeople as well. Maybe you don’t know them know them, like you’re not besties, but you’ve seen them around and maybe banged their sister, you know? For this first session, just relax. No one’s out to get you. Let’s take things slow and see what’s up.

Because next session, the whole world is gonna punch you right in the fucking mouth.

Love and Kisses,

Your MC