Gigs and how they work

• 48 Replies

Radan

Re: Gigs and how they work
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »
I put the 6 as AVERAGE only (so the RULE of 2-4 GIGS even as wide as 2-12 barters is not broken by that). I hope, that the *1 for 6* is in balance with the Maestro D income (and all around).

By the way, what about the rule "change crew" - do that mean also ADD A MEMBER? (especially if the crew was embattled and someone died etc.).

Also if you be so kind and help me with some Macaluso questions - especially for CHANGE THE PLYABOOK. If the Macaluso changed for example to the Operator, then there will be 3 (or more) of them?! ;). Or one Operator and other NPC (multibody entity)...?

Also I would like which playbook is for GENERATING SUPPLY - I mean from where getting the VALUEST FOR BARTER...? The Operator is JUST FIXER, not a creator (can cretate only indirectly by"honest work" or "technical wo - or is there more possibilities?). The Savvyhead looks more creatively (can have a garden or so) and maybe the Driver ("utility vehicle" - something for MINING etc.?), then the MAestro D if his establishment really can generate somethink - a fishermas base, hunting lodge or so - could it be that way?

I am looking for values that the Operator (and others) can OPERATE WITH... :)

Also the Angel player asked me if he can have a BEE HIVES and herbs etc. as part of Infirmary (true *natural medicine*) for being able to resupply medical stuff without barter(ing) - or ONLY bartering at least.
Preparing "RESOURCE RESUPPLY RUN - SETTING SCENARIOs"! - therefore QUESTIONS FOR BARTERs, GIGs etc.

Munin

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
In no particular order...

If the Macaluso changes playbook, my own opinion is that they are no longer a multi-bodied entity.  In other words, perhaps the Macaluso has chosen to concentrate its efforts into a single body in order to interact with the material world more deeply (or with fewer distractions).  Perhaps it has been winnowed down to a single body and can't replace the others.  Perhaps it has spent so much time in a particular body that it slowly "forgets" that it occupies more than one.

But you could totally do it the other way, and retain a multi-bodied form.  You could be the Chopper and his gang (or parts of it anyway), or the Operator and her crew.  Your choice.  Just make sure it fits your fiction.

As for generating barter, what you're talking about is addressing the fundamental scarcities of your world.  I know you're probably tired of hearing this answer, but it is totally up to you if you want to do this and how you accomplish it.

For instance, the Hardholder can generate a surplus of barter given some down-time (through the Wealth move).  This can mean many different things.  It could be that the Hardholder is simply getting a cut of all transactions that are taking place in the hold's bustling marketplace, and nothing new is actually getting produced.  Or maybe the hold has a manufactory and the town has some kind of industry.  It is producing something, creating something, generating a tradeable item.  This could be as basic as growing food or as complicated as creating methane/propane through the gasification and refinement of coal (as is the case in the hold in which my regular weekly game takes place).

Other playbooks can have similar effects.  Certainly the Savvyhead screams for allowing a player to be a productive member of society.  All the Savvyhead has to do is say, "I want to get into industrial hydroponics," to which your response will be something like, "Great! It'll cost you a fuckton of jingle for the materials, filters, and seed stock, you'll have to convince the farm foreman to help you out, and you'll either need to add skilled labor to your workspace or all you can manage is a crap version."  Once they have gone through all the effort of putting this in place, give them a custom move:

At the beginning of each session or after a sufficient amount of downtime has elapsed, you can bring in the harvest.  Roll+Sharp.  On a hit, you generate 1-barter worth of food.  Additionally, on a 7-9 pick one, on a 10+ all three.
  • Your crop is bountiful (+1 barter, but only applicable if you don't have a crap version)
  • Nothing breaks
  • No one tries to steal from you or move in on your action

Voila, you are generating barter!  You could do a similar thing with a Driver who has a fishing trawler as his "other car," or a Hocus who convinces his flock to give blood.  And of course there is a downside, because the player now has an extra element of crap to take care of (or that can be taken from them or used against them in some way).

That said, you need to be careful with this sort of thing.  A lot of how all this works is going to be dependent upon your fiction.  Apocalypse World is based on fundamental scarcities.  They are what drive the story in most cases.  If the players have easy access to things that turn those scarcities into booming surpluses, it has the potential to really skew things in a hurry.  And before you ask, no, there are no hard-and-fast numbers for how much barter you can create before things start to break.  That's purely dependent on your setting.  But I would think long and hard about the kind of story we were telling before I'd let the Angel keep bees as a way to completely circumvent the scarcity of her kit's supplies.

A good thing to remember is: if it were easy, everyone would do it.  And then it wouldn't be scarce.  If it's scarce, it's because there's a reason.  Figure out what that reason is and follow your fiction.

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
When someone with a different playbook takes moonlighting as an advance, do they get an obligation gig?

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
No but there is not rule they can't get one. :)