First Time to Play a P&P Game - AW is Great and I'm Hooked!

• 4 Replies
After pouring through forum and reddit posts and watching/listening to others' podcasts for a few weeks, some friends and I finally got to start our first game of Apocalypse World.  The character creation was really neat and we all got a kick out of the wold and situation that the four of us were able to come up with.  It was my first time to try a pen and paper game, much less act as the MC, so I was a little worried my lack of exposure/experience would cause it to crash and burn.  Surprisingly though, it all came together very naturally.  Taking an interest in who everyone was and what they did quickly opened a whole wealth of "I wonder..." questions and responses to jot down.  So from four grown adults, we can't wait to ditch our wives/children for an evening to dig into the "official" first and second sessions, to really see what this wonderful game has in store for us :)

One clarification: On the Savvyhead's gear, if the player opts for three of normal gear or weaponry, does that mean he can also choose "armor worth 2-armor" as one of his three picks? (reading from the Weapons and Armor section) 

"You have oddments worth 3-barter, and any personal piece
OR
three of normal gear or weaponry"

Munin

Re: First Time to Play a P&P Game - AW is Great and I'm Hooked!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
Something that confers 1- or 2-armor strikes me as perfectly reasonable for "normal gear," so yeah, go for it.

Your enthusiasm is great!  I think Apocalypse World is a great game for people who don't necessarily have a lot of P&P gaming experience simply because it's so creative and intuitive.  Just say what it is your character is doing, and if that sounds like a move, well, roll some dice!  So easy!  There's no complicated math and the emphasis is placed on telling cool stories about hot characters.  What could be better?

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:36:17 AM »
Spectator6, great! Thanks!

-Vincent

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »
Exactly, right on Munin!  Is that different from typical p&p games?

You're welcome Vincent, and thank YOU for blasting this out for the wide world to enjoy :)

noclue

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »
Exactly, right on Munin!  Is that different from typical p&p games?
Depends on the game. Some require more system mastery then others.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER