Rules Question

• 5 Replies
Rules Question
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »
Hi all,

Ran another game tonight and was wondering how to handle something.

Basically the group were in a city, and i set up a scene where a bunch of urchins surrounded the group asking for food etc, but in reality they were trying to pick one of the players pockets, for some reason i was at a loss as to how to handle this.

How would you have done it?

noofy

Re: Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »
As the players start asking questions about the scene, suggest that they are discerning realities?... On a miss or soft hit, make the hard move that the pickpockets steal something (take away their stuff).

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
Describe the urchins surrounding and begging. Play out the scene without mentioning the theft.

The next time the players make an appropriate failure or partial success, reveal something small important that was stolen by the urchins. This works particularly well if the action that was failed/partially succeeded required the player to get something out of their bag: lock picks when opening a door, money pouch when trying to parley or carouse, etc.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »
When you enter Artfuldodger Lane, a little horde of street urchins surrounds you; they pull your sleeves, asking for food ect.
Roll + WIS
On a 10+ you notice the little thief whose hand is just inside your pocket. What do you do?
On a 7-9 the little devil sneaks past his friens and starts to run. Chose one
 You cancel one use of something and let him go
 You can reach him but others can't. (separate them)
 You can reach him but the adults don't like strangers hurting their brood spawn little children (use resources)

Obviously, on a failure...

ecz

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
nice idea, a custom move.

Question: and who rolls?

the best WIS?
everyone in the group?
after you describe the scene and the players react, the one is closer to the action?
one Character at random? (my take).

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Who rolls?
The one who is being pickpocketed.
So: who's being robbed? Ask them who's paying attention to his purse. The first to answer, he rolls.
You should come up with an interesting means to determine the target of the urchins. My take is you should be asking questions and describe; this way the resulting victim will come up less determined by chance and more from the fiction.