Skypocalypse

• 17 Replies
Skypocalypse
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »
Just wondering about the online and skype or other internet based ApW games out there. Wondered how the experience of online play has lent itself to this game.  I've found the intensity of face to face play is great with Apocalypse World, more so than any other game I've been involved in and wonder how that translates to an online game. Are there any tools or sites which are especially useful?

Also I have found very few podcast or audio actual plays of the game, does anyone have a resource?

Last, if anyone has an ApW skype game in need of players I'd love to give it a try and would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:36:49 AM by octoscott »

Re: Skypocalypse
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:51:46 AM »
We're playing a forum-based game at: http://snailspace.forgreatjustice.net/index.php?TagFilter=59, that's pretty great.  We have just noticed that being asynchronous has affected the degree to which we use the helping move -- hardly ever because it would often require "going back" to change bits.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
When I saw this thread, I thought you were asking about apocalypses set in the sky, like the anime "Last Exile."  Those would be pretty cool too.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »
When I saw this thread, I thought you were asking about apocalypses set in the sky, like the anime "Last Exile."  Those would be pretty cool too.

Hey yeah that could be pretty cool.  Could also then have a good ending. ^_^ 

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
We're playing a forum-based game at: http://snailspace.forgreatjustice.net/index.php?TagFilter=59, that's pretty great.  We have just noticed that being asynchronous has affected the degree to which we use the helping move -- hardly ever because it would often require "going back" to change bits.

Wow, that's kind of hard to follow having not been involved but makes some good reading. I'll be scanning through this over the next few days. Looks like fun.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
I hate to go "me too" but I'd like to echo octoscott's interest in long-distance Apocalypse World. I've been poring over Snail's Pace and it is really a fantastic read.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:39 AM »
Well, that makes two.

DWeird

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 03:28:14 AM »
We've been playing a lot of AW over chat, too. It translates pretty damned well! Skype would be even better at it, I would trust.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
We're playing a forum-based game at: http://snailspace.forgreatjustice.net/index.php?TagFilter=59, that's pretty great.  We have just noticed that being asynchronous has affected the degree to which we use the helping move -- hardly ever because it would often require "going back" to change bits.

Been truly enjoying the Snails Pace gameplay, suggest everyone check it out.
Really great example of some of the principles and especially lots of PC-NPC-PC triangles.   I think the slower pace of posted play allows for some of this but it gives me inspiration on how to bring more of this to my face to face games.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:24:34 AM by octoscott »

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
Octoscott, what do you think would make it easier to follow?  I'm wondering if some simple system -- maybe where scenes are tagged with the session number, would be enough.  That coupled with an intro note in each scene stating what other scene each player is coming out of unless it's the first scene of the session would be a big help.

Also, I've been thinking about getting another PBP game going.  The current one, at it's busiest has been so busy that I really couldn't handle another but we have these long stretches where there's nothing going on and I'm jonesing to play.  But I'm really only interested in PBP, not a Skype game.  Who else is?  And do you want to MC or play?

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Hi Christopher,
As I mentioned, the single biggest help would be character name on each post. Session number might be helpful, but now that I've got to reading in chronological order, the scenes are flowing well.  What would screw me up (As a reader) would be if an older thread got a new post, throwing it out of rough order...  would make me read it much later as I'm basically reading up the forum in reverse. Would be a project, but I could see a time line of posts being cool.

I'm looking to play. While I do MC, I'm trying to become a better MC through being a player in another MC's game. Hope that makes some sense?  Also new to PBP so don't really want to MC as my first experience there.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
Ooo! Ooo! Me! Memememe! (And now I'm reading that as "meme meme".)

I'm right there with you Chris. When the game is running on all thrusters, then it's fantastic, but we certainly get into these lulls of emptiness and void. I actually think that to me, the game has gotten to the place where I'm invested in it enough that I'm not going to lose interest after one of these lulls, unless it's exceptionally long. But I know that if such a lull cropped up really early on, before investment had been grown, it would be all too easy for it to grind to a halt. That stands out as one of the biggest and earliest hurdles to be overcome for any PbP game.

I'd be totally in favor of another PbP game, for much the same reasons as you mention. I am hoping to improve my own MC-ing capabilities, so I would not in the slightest mind acting as an MC, if other people weren't interested in the job. Hopefully, I haven't annoyed either of you enough to get me excluded from the club, so, assuming that that's true, and I'm in the clear, I'm totally interested.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
Brendan, post a pitch at Snail's Pace?  I'd MC if no one else wanted to, but I'm totally OK with you doing it.  I'm going to play someone more apocalyptic this time.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
Done!