Some new races

• 13 Replies

-t-

Some new races
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
I use "Ravnica: City of Guilds" as setting for Dungeon World, where there are a few different races. I chose these listed below, ruling out some other strange creature types than are very few. There is one I forgot that I'm working on, which is the Vedalken, rather tall blue humanoids that are very intelligent.

+Tribal Goblins prefer to live in clans or huge families, and usually like to keep away from cities. The are quite the pranksters, but their humour is difficult for nongoblins to understand.

*Tribal Goblin racial moves:
Thief: Same as Halfling.
Druid: Whenever you use your Shapeshifting to Discern Realities, take +1.
Fighter: Same as Halfling.

+Goblins that have lived for centuries in urban environments are a different breed than their tribal brethren, they have adapted to living in a city and almost forgotten about nature. They still love to have a laugh at the cost of others though.

*Goblin racial moves:
Wizard: Wanton destruction and mayhem is your very essence. +1d4 damage when the area around you is burning uncontrolled.
Thief: You are the supplier of illegal and special goods. Take +1 when you Supply from a Shady Trader.
Fighter: Same as Halfling.

+Wild Centaurs are tough creatures that roam the wastelands. They have a nomadic lifestyle with strict shamanistic beliefs. Whenever they feel like it, they trample into a city district to loot and burn as much they can, before rushing out into the wilds.

*Wild Centaur racial moves:
Fighter: Thanks to your tremendous strength, you are able to wield two-handed weapons in one hand.
Druid: You disgust spellcasters. +1 magic resistance.
Ranger: You live for the hunt. Whenever you Hunt and Track, take +1.

+The other variant of Centaurs are working hard to help both civilization and nature to prosper, and are more peace-loving in general than the wild ones. Centaurs like to atune themselves to the spirits of nature and work as healers or otherwise defend ideals of peace.

*Centaur racial moves:
Cleric: Whenever you heal an ally or yourself, on a 10+ their armor is improved by 1 magic for the rest of that combat, to the maximum of +3.
Paladin: Whenever you Defend and use your great size and speed, take +1.
Fighter: When you Defy Danger and use your great size and speed, take +1.

+Mutants have been human, goblin, what have you, but was the victim of experimentations of Ravnicas many biomancers. The character mostly look like whatever it once was, but with some new twisted features. This is mostly a cosmetic change to give the character some ideas for background story.

*Mutant racial moves:
Pick any on the character sheet, except paladin.

Re: Some new races
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
I love me some race variants, and these are nice.

Not sure I understand the Mutant one. Did you mean "choose from any class playbook except Paladin"?

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »
Druid: Whenever you use your Shapeshifting to Discern Realities, take +1.

doesn't really work because when you use Shapeshifting to do something you will be spending hold to do it right?

-t-

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »
Good observations!

Yes, I meant the playbooks, except paladin. I will correct this error!

About the druid... You are quite right, I seem to have misread the druid. Nobody in my group chose druid, so it haven't come up as of yet.

Maybe change it to "get one free hold for discerning realities when shapeshifted"? An "animal sense-token" :P

I would like the goblin druid to use their shapeshifted senses to get an understanding of what's going on. It also gives the impression that mangy dogs, bats or wolves running in packs could be shapeshifted goblins.

Thanks for the pointers!

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
maybe for the goblin druid:
"You may always take the shape of any animal of shadows and fangs, in addition to your normal options."
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
As a Druid, you only spend hold to perform the animal form specific moves.  You can still perform your basic/class moves as effectively as your current form allows. 

From the class book: "You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger—a housecat will find it hard to do battle with an ogre. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you’re out of hold, you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form."

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
You really seem to want it to tune into the senses of whatever beast, so why not just say that. "in addition to other moves granted by the form you take, you get one related to your form's senses, as well as one hold for that move alone."

-t-

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
Thanks for the input!

Gave me some to think about.

Here's a sketch of another new race:

+Vedalken. Large, blue, four arms and fairly hairless humanoids. They think in terms of facts and logic, they hate humour and stupidity, maybe because they can't relate in the slightest. All of them are magicians of some sort, it comes natural to them. Especially magic that deals with minds and altering environment.

*Vedalken racial moves:
Paladin: Whenever you Parley, on a 7-9 you read the subject's current motivation and desire. On a 10+ you can alter their motivation and desire to better suit your alignment.
Wizard: Take +1 when you cast an enchantment-spell.
Cleric: Memorizing is easy. You prepare spells in 30 minutes.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »
Those all strike me as very... enh. And except for the Paladin's one, not very evocative of what you wrote.

Maybe something more like:

Paladin: With a moment's eye contact, you may ask the player of any creature, "What evil are you planning?" (What with the mind reading ;D)

Wizard: Charm Person is a cantrip for you.

Cleric: In addition to your other choice, you Deity has the Domain "Science and Logic"

Whaddya think?

-t-

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
Nice! I like the paladin and cleric much better now. The wizard, I was thinking about doing what you propose, maybe its the right thing to do.

Maybe its the wizard that could Parley and alter minds, but with Int instead of Cha. Its sort of the same thing though, either Charm or Enchanting Voice, you still end up screwing up someone with chatting. Casting Charm as cantrip should work.

Thanks!

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
No worries! I love tinkering like this. Glad I could lend a hand.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
I have a setting I've adapted to... many many many RPGs over the years, and have been contemplating adapting it again, to Dungeon World.

And one important note is that the race list is weird, including wild and urbane centaurs... so this is helpful, thanks. ;)

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
Druid: You disgust spellcasters. +1 magic resistance.

I'm reading this as:

"You disgust spellcasters and resist their magic.  Take a +1 on defying dangerous magic, and a +1 when using hack and slash against someone actively wielding magic against you, and a +1 when discerning realities about dangerous magic."

Is that close to your intention?

Or more simply:

"You disgust spellcasters and resist their magic.  Take a +1 against hostile magic."

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
I like the idea of goblin wizard as irresponsible mess-maker although the uncontrollable fire thing is a bit weirdly specific. I dunno if this is any better but this is what it made me think of:

Goblin Wizard: Wanton destruction and mayhem is your very essence, you are a public menace. Unless you specifically cast a spell carefully, it causes harm, random property damage, or similar mayhem. The GM will tell you what.

The GM might have a hard time deciding what breaks when you cast invisibility, of course, but I'd probably go with the spell causing a lunar eclipse or breaking every source of light within a mile or two. You know, you're even MORE invisible in the dark!