Ritual Magic, how it works

• 1 Replies

ecz

Ritual Magic, how it works
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:04:47 AM »
My wizard, in the campaign I'm running, started to ask me (thr GM) how to implement Ritual Magic during adventures.

correct me if I'm wrong:

Ritual magic is something that should be not allowed during a combat to cast a brand new spell, I suppose. In fact whatever the cost is it cannot be paid here and now by the wizard.

I think instead that if the prep has been done in advance and all the cost have been paid, it can be used also during a combat.

Example

Wizard: "dear GM I want to create a spell to summon a lion that acts like a men-at arms with the following rules : a)... b)... and c)... what I need"?

GM: "ok, wizard, it seems doable, perhaps c) should be instead .... In any case you have to  kill real lions before each summoning.  For each lion killed and 1-hour ritual (done  when you kill the beast) you get one free summoning . You can instantly cast the summon, even during a melee. NO DR is required. But tell us where did you seen lions. And more specifically, how do you know what a lion is?

Wizard: " I know a dwarf merchant trading in esotic animals, Zbirk "Mineralheart(h)". He had a few jungle beasts to sell one month ago, included two lions that  showed me. I Could search him and kill his animals to start the ritual, if their price is unfair...
Then I'll make the ritual and will gain two "one-shot" summon lion spells. No DR is requested for ritual magic, so they can appear in the middle of the melee when I think I'm in trouble. Correct?

GM: " well, I'll prepare something for this. Yes, no DR once the magic is prepared in advance.  Zbirk lives at Babbakesh, the coastal city at the border of the East. You need a three-days trip. Do you make the trip now? if Yes, alone or the Party follows you? Or do you wait for to resolve the quest vs the Necromancer before? Any day of delay could mean the lions are sold or other...
and so on.

does all the above fit with the rules? is it correct? possible?

vsh

Re: Ritual Magic, how it works
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
Actully it's ok for Wizard to Ritual in combat if combat is within a place of power.
Your example certainly fits into the rules, though I'd keep the conversation more on the fiction side. Like "you need a, b and c to create a clay figurine of lion. Break it up and the celestial lion-angel will come to your aid in the time of need".