The Freelancer: First Pass

• 24 Replies
Re: The Freelancer: First Pass
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
Good point about the special weapon; is anyone ever not going to take the option?  Doubtful, so.

You said you had a template for the playbook files?

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
You can download the template (in Open Document Format) from here.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »
Thanks!  Now if only I could draw...

Do you think it makes sense to allow the Mundane to count as a civilian for the purposes of Saving People?  I kind of think it would work thematically.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
You could just leave that unstated, let each group decide if their Mundane counts or not (for that matter, a Snoop might be a "civilian" too).

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
You're not Buffy.  You're not with the government, the Conspiracy, or the Watchers.  You don't have any special powers or mystic weapons.  But someone's got to keep people safe, and it looks like that someone is you. 

Good thing you have this shotgun.

Look
man, woman
cute face, unremarkable face, handsome/beautiful face, trustworthy face, sincere face
rugged clothes, cheap clothes, outdoor gear, military surplus

Stats, pick one line:
-Charm+2 Cool+1 Sharp 0 Tough+1 Weird-1
-Charm+1 Cool 0  Sharp+1 Tough+2 Weird-1
-Charm+2 Cool+1 Sharp +1 Tough+1 Weird-2
-Charm+1 Cool 0 Sharp+1 Tough+1 Weird 0
-Charm-1 Cool+2  Sharp+2 Tough-1 Weird 0

You get all the basic moves, plus pick four Freelancer moves:

I Know A Guy: You have a bunch of old friends and contacts you can call on for help, knowledge and backup, anything from doing tricky research to playing the Home Office for suspicious locals to showing up with an extra gun.  When you call on one of them, give them a name and a role and roll +Charm.  On a 10+, they provide what you need, no strings attached.  7-9, they can provide it, but you'll owe them a favor.  On a failure, either they can't give you what you need or they can, but you've pissed them off or exposed them to danger in some way; if the former, -1 to your next interaction with them.  If the latter, you might have to go bail them out...or the Keeper might tell you how you haven't heard from Terry in a while.

Been Around The Block: When you discover that you need some particular item or knowledge to defeat your current opponent, roll +Sharp.  On a 10+, it turns out you've got just the thing in your closet/trunk/duffel bag.  On a 7-9, either you have something but it needs some work before it'll fit the bill, or you have a lead on it but it'll take some time or effort to get ahold of.  On a failure, well, you thought it was the right thing, but when you go to use it it turns out?  Not so much.

Badge and Gun: You're very good at convincing people you have every right to be there, poking your nose into this business; get +1 to rolls for this purpose.

Jack of All Trades: This hunting thing ain't exactly a pro-ball career, and you've had to learn to make do.  You get a +1 to rolls involving jury-rigging, improvising equipment, and the like. 

Saving People: When you attempt to protect someone who, in your opinion, is a "civilian", you get +1 ongoing for the rest of the fight if you pick "the target takes little harm" or "the target is out of immediate danger".  Your fellow hunters are never civilians for this purpose--except for a Mundane, if you like.

The Touch: One of the reasons you took this gig instead of settling down in the suburbs is because you're not exactly normal yourself.  You have kind of a feel for this sort of thing; you can roll +Weird to go with your gut about the current mystery.  On a 10+ hold 3, on a 7-9 hold 1, and spend your hold one-for-one to add bonuses to investigate a monster or read a bad situation.  On a failure, your gut led you wrong; take -1 forward when you act on your feeling.

Hunter's Journal:  You have a source of useful monster knowledge; it is shallow but broad, and often includes details that are only available from personal interactions with the nasties.  Add the following questions to the list you can ask when investigating a mystery:
--What does the sketch suggest it looks like?
--What kind of victims does it prefer?
--What's the detail we haven't seen here yet?
--How did the last encounter with one of these go?

For Services Rendered: When you return to a place where you've solved a mystery before, roll +Charm.  On a 10+, one of the people you met last time remembers you fondly.  They'll provide information if they have it, and small favors like a place to crash or a hot meal.  On a 7-9, someone from last time remembers you, all right, but they aren't necessarily happy to see you.  On a failure, pick one...but it doesn't matter too much, because they're on the current mystery's hit list.

History
-This person is your younger sibling, or at least you treat them like they are.  Specify, and ask them how they feel about that.
-You've run into them before, and you're not certain about their methods, motives or both.
-You're blood relations, though not necessarily close ones.
-You saved them from something, but they weren't useless; if they'd known what they were doing at the time they could've handled it.  Now that they've got some knowledge, they're pretty good.
-They helped you out of a serious jam once; decide with them what it was.
-You look up to them.
-They're one of the very few people who can give orders you'll follow without question; decide with them why that is.
-You don't think they're cut out for this life.
-You think they're really hot.

Pick four:
-shotgun (2-harm close loud reload messy)
-couple of good knives (1-harm ap hand)
-machete (2-harm hand messy)
-9mm (1-harm close concealable)
-rifle (2-harm far reload)
-taser (2-harm stun close reload)
-crowbar (1-harm hand)

One of your weapons is special--made of a particular material, or enchanted, or the like--and counts as a weakness for a particular type of monster.  It does an extra 2-harm to those creatures.  Specify which weapon, which monster type, and why it's special.

In addition, you have some special wards or amulets that give you some protection. Choose one:
- I am not recognised by one sort of monster
- I cannot be magically harmed by one sort of monster
- I cannot be detected or spied upon by one sort of monster
- A specific individual monster cannot harm me directly

Improvements
-+1 Cool
-+1 Tough
-+1 Charm
-+1 Sharp
-take another Freelancer move
-take another Freelancer move
-gain a contact like from 'I Know A Guy' (even if you don't have that move). You never need to roll for this contact - they'll always help you out, but still need a favor now and then.
-someone you've saved is very grateful; the next time you need a place to hole up and lick your wounds, they'll provide it, no questions asked.
-take a move from another playbook
-take a move from another playbook

I have not finished Advanced Improvements, but one of the options is:
-gain a contact like from 'I Know A Guy' (even if you don't have that move).  In addition to helping you out, this contact has a haven like an Expert, and will let you use it in return for a favor.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
Looks good.

The one change I would make is to Badge and Gun, so that it just works, e.g.:

"You're very good at convincing people you have every right to be there, poking your nose into this business. Civilians just believe you are who you say you are, until they get definite evidence you aren't."

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
Works for me. 

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »
Two years later, the Freelancer's finally up and running, complete with art!

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »
There's an issue with the link you posted -- it malforms the URL.

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
Hrm.  I wonder what's up with that.  How about now?