Advancement

• 3 Replies
Advancement
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
This thing isn't dead, it's just playing possum. Meanwhile, after marking enough circles, you get to advance.

I kinda wanted to root the advancement within the fiction slightly more. Part of it was making your House and Philosophy continually relevant - so they take part of the work of providing Advancement Options.

However, I also decided to add in something else to the mix. It's something that's already there in part with options like "get a gang and {MOVE}" - advancements that are baked into the fiction. So I'm cooking up a bunch of "Special Moves" that you can only take if you meet the requirements.

If you've held your own against overwhelming odds, you can take Renowned when you Advance. If you've communed with the First Emperor you can take Destined.

You don't get these moves automatically, and neither do you have to take them but they provide a nice way of making every game different, and every character unique whilst reinforcing the setting.

So does it sound appealing? And does anyone have any ideas for "conditions" for these bonus options?

Oh, and this project is most definitely still on despite radio silence here.

Re: Advancement
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:12:13 PM »
Hmm, it might be an interesting thing to examine a whole class of advances like the "special moves you mention" as "descriptive advances only". What I mean is that you could have 'experience advances can let you get X, and you only get Y by meeting the fictional criteria, but you don't have to spend experience on Y advances."

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
Something along the lines of: "Trendsetter: When you introduce a new Fashion to the Court, you may take this move, you need not spend an Advance to take it. When you enter court, you are both scrutinised on your appearance and consulted by those courtiers interested in your take on the latest trends."

Interesting. I like it.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
I think it's basically codifying the descriptive advance stuff that's already there in AW, but letting you play with it some more in different directions, but I think it would be pretty cool.