[Rules] Angel Kits and Prepared For The Inevitable

• 6 Replies
[Rules] Angel Kits and Prepared For The Inevitable
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
If a Gunlugger takes:

Prepared for the inevitable: you have a well-stocked and high quality first aid kit. It counts as an angel kit (cf ) with a capacity of 2-stock.

This does mean the gunlugger doesn't act under fire anymore for using an Angel kit right? And, if so, can that gunlugger just buy enough stock and essentially have a 6-stock angel kit, like an Angel might?

It makes sense that the gunlugger would be able to do just that. What's keeping a gunlugger with Prepared... from being as effective as an Angel, right out of the starting gate?

Is this even a concern?

Thoughts?

I'm asking because I'm trying to be careful not to mitigate the Angel's coolness factor in a game I'm MC'ing (assuming an Angel appears at some point).

lumpley

Re: [Rules] Angel Kits and Prepared For The Inevitable
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »
The capacity of an angel kit is its maximum stock, so no, a gunlugger who's prepared for the inevitable can't just buy it up to 6-stock.

"A gunlugger acts under fire when using an angel kit" isn't a rule of the game, so ... maybe? Sometimes, using your angel kit will be acting under fire, whether you're an angel, a gunlugger with one, a savvyhead bonefeeling one into existence, or anybody else. Other times it won't be. It's your job as MC to make that call case by case.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »
The capacity of an angel kit is its maximum stock, so no, a gunlugger who's prepared for the inevitable can't just buy it up to 6-stock.

Can you elaborate on this? Why wouldn't the gunlugger be able to purchase more than it's capacity, or for example, buy two first aid kits and combine them for a 3-stock roll? You mean he can only carry around 2-stock "on him" right?

I guess the question should be, if fictionally, there are more medical supplies around, say the gunlugger's first aid kit, plus 2-stock of medical supplies he bought, he can use them right?

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
A savvyhead can bonefeel stuff like that?  Cool.  It makes sense, but I'd always assumed it just covers more basic stuff.

It is kinda, sorta recommended in the text that non-angels (except possibly gunluggers with the move) act under fire for using angel kits.  Rereading under the Specialty Gear section, it does say "it's reasonable to say ..." for that, though, so I suppose the language is fuzzy.

I suppose the question we're both looking at is, where's stock come from?

I'm from other Michael's game, and the situation is I'm the hardholder, and I have an NPC medic who's, y'know, kind of sketchy.  He was pretty much out of medical supplies, though, so I dropped some barter to roll up some meds ... we figured about 6-stock/3-barter worth.

But soon after, the gunlugger takes that move, and now we're wondering if the gunlugger can use those medical supplies I just bought.  It seems he must be able to, somehow, but how do we convert convert that into stock terms?

-edit-

Like Michael said.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:46:18 PM by Michael Loy »

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
Oh! Well sure, you can use those supplies to restock the gunlugger's first aid kit as she uses it up. That's no prob.

The 2-capacity most crucially means that when the gunlugger rolls+stock spent, she can't spend 3 stock to get a roll+3, where an angel could. An angel kit isn't just bigger, it's more sophisticated, and the ability to roll+3 (or more) with it reflects that.

Now, that's one side of it. The other side is: sure, you can change the capacity of the gunlugger's first aid kit. When I'm the MC, just having more stock on hand won't do it, but having more sophisticated stock on hand would.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »
The 2-capacity most crucially means that when the gunlugger rolls+stock spent, she can't spend 3 stock to get a roll+3, where an angel could. An angel kit isn't just bigger, it's more sophisticated, and the ability to roll+3 (or more) with it reflects that.

Ah! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Yeah.  There we are.